Wednesday, December 16, 2015

2015 - What a Year! - You've got to Believe

Facebook has the Year in Review in photos for us to take a look back at where we've been in 2015.

When the year started out, I was recovering from a serious knee injury. I wasn't sure how or when I'd get back to running. I saw a physiatrist, a physical therapist, was working with a massage therapist all of whom were shrugging and doubting my ability to get back on the roads.

It was the night of the playoffs and just so happened to also be the night of the book release party for "Journey Well," the sequel to my memoir, "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility."

It was cold and slushy outside and many people opted (and rightfully so) to watch the playoffs.

But not Ryan J. Means, DC who was renting office space where we had the book launch. From the moment I looked into those deep blue eyes and heard him talk about his passion for chiropractic care that wasn't just for the spine, I felt a spark ignite inside of me. As I initially walked the path of Western Medicine, Ryan reached out to me on Facebook saying he was intrigued by my journey and would I like to get together for coffee? I instantly knew he was going to partner with me to get me back on the roads. Through working with him, I had the courage to fire all the nay sayers and devoured Dr. Joe Dispenza's, "You Are the Placebo."

Here we are at his farewell lunch before he left to practice in China:


Even though Dr. Ryan lives halfway around the world now, he still does distance healing with me via Facebook messenger.

I crossed the finish line of the Harvard Pilgrim 5K Finish at the 50 - my comeback race with my bestie by my side:


The Bermuda Marathon Weekend was at the Expo. I on Facebook that I was going to go the distance and run the Bermuda Half Marathon.

Dr. Ryan was all in with me sharing in the journey in cyberspace with occasional chats.

The highlights of the rest of the year reflect how Team McManus built miles and strengthened our running family bonds now that we were going the distance again.



Facebook chose to incorporate this photo of me wearing a t-shirt from my dear friend and elite runner, Reno Stirrat that really sums up the year's highlights for me:


2016 is right around the corner and I am going to cross off something that has been on my bucket list for several years - the Bermuda Half Marathon. I had planned to run the full and was going to run it two years ago but this is going to be even sweeter and better than I could have imagined it.

While 2015 got off to an incredibly rough start for me and for so many with the record breaking snowfall in New England, it is ending on an incredibly high note.

While I may have strayed away from my healing path, I never lost faith. I'd like to close with this clip from Miracle on 34th Street - a reminder to us all. "Mommy told me that if things don't turn out the way you want the first time you've still got to believe!"



2015 - What a year. The year of quantum healing and going the distance. After looking back and seeing the magic and synchronicity you've just got to believe!

2 comments:

  1. Love you and your journey is admirable and inspiring. Wishing Bermuda is all that you hope for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilene. I am so blessed and grateful for our friendship and all the love and support you give that fuels my journey. Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy and running long and strong New Year!

      Delete