Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Running Chronicles: Joy in the Journey - I've Got This


As I let go of pushing myself and trying to achieve a certain time in yesterday's training run and as I focused on being so happy to be out there running with Tom, I felt incredible joy in my journey on the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon in January. Whenever I go to their website I get goosebumps. I am so excited to be going back to that beautiful Island where Tom and I have so many wonderful memories and where we are going to make some amazing new memories in January.

My dear friend and a wonderful Coach, Reno Stirrat posted this on Facebook this morning from John "The Penguin" Bingham:


I need to honor what I've accomplished. In December, I couldn't bear weight on my left leg. I worked with incredible tenacity and determination building in strength training and cross training into my regimen. I slowly built the miles and will continue to build the miles until I reach 13.1 miles again - a half marathon.

I have my sights set on another full marathon in October but you better believe that I am going to pause and celebrate and relish the remarkable accomplishment of running another half marathon.

In L Street Running Club we have a motto coined by our first President, "Mac". "Maintain. Maintain. Maintain." My strength training regimen is quite rigorous and I am going to maintain at this level of intensity for now.

We decided that hill repeats are out for me - for now but I can certainly enjoy the thrill of tempo runs and fartleks and running hills.

Yesterday my life and running partner Tom looked at me as we were almost finished with our 7.5 miler. He said that we could have run the half marathon. We would have walked/run it but we would have easily finished.

I've let go of time and I've decided to honor where I am and what my body can safely do for now. My friend Nicole posted on Facebook this morning that the goal is to build the body stronger. Not tear it down.

So as long as I relax and let go of pushing myself and instead feel the exquisite joy in the journey, I've got this.




I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing odyssey in "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" and continue the journey in "Journey Well." These two inspirational books that will motivate you and move you to tears along with my books of inspirational poetry are available on Amazon.





No comments:

Post a Comment