Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Going the Distance: Loving Life One Mile at a Time

We bought a beautiful medal display from Blue Diamond Athletic Display that says "Loving Life One Mile at a Time":



We had all of our bling hanging on it and loved the reminder to love life on and off the roads one mile at a time; living and being in the present moment and enjoying the journey.

One day on Facebook I saw their post with this medal display:



I just HAD to have it.

Forrest Gump has been an integral part of my healing journey.

I had never run a day in my life before I vowed to run the 2009 Boston Marathon.

I couldn't access memory of running free in my body because I contracted paralytic polio at the age of 5. I could elicit memories of ballet class but running free was a stretch for me.

So I'd watch this scene from Forrest Gump over and over and over again allowing the phenomenon of mirror neurons to fire up the feeling of running in my mind:



We were going to wait to hang and use our 2nd medal display but one early morning I heard the jingle jangle of bling and came downstairs to see both medal displays adorning our living room.

There's plenty of room on both of them for lots more bling.

Yes I know I am going to be 62 years old but I know in every fiber of my Being that I have got a lot of races left in me. The first medal to adorn our new display will be from the Bermuda Half Marathon in January.



Last weekend we ran 7.5 miles - the longest run I've had since I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon!

With every week I embrace the joy and rigors of my new training schedule. I love going the distance and I have such confidence in my body's ability to train now. 7.5 miles was an incredible milestone for me...I am loving life and running one mile at a time. And from that day on, whenever I go somewhere - I am running!!!

Today it's a tempo run and hill repeats....to be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment