Monday, July 6, 2015

My Running Chronicles: Momentum - Keep Your Eye on the Prize

During this morning's meditation, I was reflecting on momentum and as if the Universe echoed my thoughts, I found this quote after I finished my meditation and was looking for something to post on Facebook for Monday Motivation:



There are many wonderful quotes about momentum:

Enthusiasm is the energy and force that builds literal momentum of the human soul and mind.
Bryant H. McGill

When you're that successful, things have a momentum, and at a certain point you can't really tell whether you have created the momentum or it's creating you.

Annie Lennox

And one more in honor of our New England winter weather:


I took one rest day after last Friday's race and yesterday I was back at strength training on land. I maintained my reps and weights and plan to do so for this recovery week but I want to keep the momentum going from how I felt during Finish at the 50 and the anticipation of running the Bermuda Half Marathon in January.

While I had motivation and excitement for running the 2016 Newport Marathon next October, having this interim goal has lit a fire in my belly and motivates me to take my training to a whole new level.

After doing a plank that I now hold for 2'15" and 45 crunches, I had my nutritious breakfast and headed to the pool at WaveHealth.

During my meditation, I imagined what I needed for the day. A parking space and the lap lane free for me to do my workout. There was not one but two parking spaces on Northern Avenue near the Seaport. While there was a family on vacation playing in the pool, the lap lane was free. I got in my zone and did my workout.

It's interesting to observe what my default thinking used to be. Don't overdo it. You might injure yourself. You just ran a race, you need recovery time.

But now my thinking is, come on girl - you've got this! You are training for the Bermuda Half Marathon. I was even talking to myself out loud after I did several laps of freestyle getting my heart rate up and someone walked in at that moment. I just smiled!

I can feel the healing and momentum happening within me mind, body and Spirit. Fears melt away. The waters heal and fortify me and are a perfect complement to marathon training.

I was astounded although I really shouldn't be of how easy and affordable it was to book the flights and hotel.

We are returning to the Rosedon Hotel



I called to make our reservation and Lesiline remembered us! She said that they even have a discounted rate for those participating in Marathon Weekend!

Crossing the finish line of the Bermuda Half Marathon - a race I imagined running since 2010 although it was going to be the full marathon in 2013 but hey I am not going to quibble with the Universe - is my sweet prize. I focus on healing and building strength and endurance every day between now and January 17th when Team McManus toes the starting line of the 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon.

I have a lot of work to do between now and then and feel absolute joy in the journey. I am keeping this momentum of healing going strong with my greater goal of the Bermuda Half Marathon.

How do you keep your momentum going?



Cheers! To life! Love yourself well!



I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


I am writing "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems," and "Going the Distance," chronicling my journey on the road to the Newport Marathon 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment