Monday, June 1, 2015

Meditation is my Medication



In yesterday's post, I reflected on what our thoughts can do to and for us.

I began meditating shortly after the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, initially using meditation CD's created by Bernie Siegel, MD.

Writing poetry and journaling also bring me into a state of meditation where the world falls away, I lose all track of time and focus on elevated feelings of joy, gratitude, healing, happiness, well being, sifting and sorting through feelings that do not promote a sense of well being and letting them go.

I know that meditation has helped me to rewire my brain and transform my body from a rapidly aging, declining body and a deflated and depressed state of Being to feeling vibrant, whole, healthy and so very happy to be alive.

And now I am taking my healing journey to the next level.

I write out affirmations in my healing journal.

My breath is full and free.
The connections from my brain to my respiratory system are fired and fully functioning.
My left knee is healed and I have full range of motion.
The tremors are healed.
I am an endurance runner.
I am healthy, whole, confident and strong.
My cerebrospinal fluid flows easily and nourishes my neuromuscular pathways.

I write out what I am grateful for.

When I close my eyes to meditate I visualize, embody and fully experience the joy of these outcomes. I also send out healing energy and positive outcomes to loved ones and join with their intentions for their lives.

I have cleaned out my FB friends and my News Feed and am mindful of what links I click on to ensure that I am feeding myself well. There are some articles that I need to read to be informed and to send out prayers when needed but I make sure that I don't dwell there.

I use meditation to set my intentions for the day and meditate now before going to sleep. During the day, I monitor my thoughts and feelings. When I get into a looping of negative emotions, I take time to pause. I take a deep breath - the breath that refreshes and cleanses and focus on feelings of freedom, joy, gratitude, happiness, peace, safety and comfort.

While there will always be events going on around me that can stimulate powerful emotions and I have no control over those events, I always have control and can choose how to harness the power of my mind. Meditation helps me to quiet and soothe the parts of me that were once neglected, abused and abandoned and receive the bounty of Love the Universe has to offer. I retrain my mind and body to anticipate outcomes different from what happened in the past and open to the wonder, awe and mystery of possibility; the grace that is always showering down upon me.

Meditation is a time for peace and quiet to feel grounded in the present moment, opening my heart, listening to the stirrings in my soul and feel connected to all that is. Meditation IS my medication.

BE BLESSED! JOURNEY WELL! TO ALL GOOD THINGS.....

I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


50% of book proceeds from all of my books, available on Amazon are donated to the Massachusetts Resiliency Center to support 4/15/13 Boston Strong survivors and their families.

I am working on my new book, Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems which brings together my best poems of the last 8 years and will include my latest poems as I continue to feel the heal and move forward in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment