Thursday, June 18, 2015

#tbt A Date With Destiny

I'm putting together my latest poetry book, "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems" which is a collection of some of my earlier works along with my latest poetic creations.



What is so striking to me is that a poem I wrote in 2007 is now manifesting in physical reality. I wrote about the tremors being healed and having a strong core; creating myself anew and playing my game my rules (to quote Dave McGillvray's favorite phrase that I only heard last year). At the time, I had not yet been discharged from Spaulding Rehab's outpatient care and was carrying a diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I was told that I would need to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I was by all appearances weak, deconditioned, wearing a leg brace, experiencing chronic fatigue, tremors were very evident at the time and yet, yet I wrote this poem that talks about the body falling away healed as I prepared to leave my award winning career as a VA social worker:

A Date With Destiny

Don’t wait til you die to let your soul fly free
please listen and hear what happened to me.
My body was broken every imaginable place
yet to the world always a smile on my face.
My soul trapped inside feeling it was broken too
God brought me out of darkness my light I shine on you.
She showed me the way through people I met
it took awhile a message hard to get.

The kingdom of heaven is right inside me
take the leap of faith fulfill destiny.
While I did my soul work and let my soul fly free
my body transformed changes did I see.
My head now aligned the tremor no more
my body aligned such strength in my core.
When once head detached from my heart and my soul
they all work together amazingly whole.
The rules that I live by are my rules alone
I found strength and courage the past now has flown.

I followed my heart to create myself anew
to feel simply Divine despite all I've lived through.
Take the leap of faith into grace I can fall
but I’m floating on air answering God’s call.
Don’t wait til you die to let your soul fly free
there’s no reason to live a life in misery.
Follow your passions and I will tell you this
the body falls away healed when you follow your bliss.


Here is a visual of me Christmas 2007:


Running the 2009 Boston Marathon:


and after scoring a huge PR last year at the Bill Rodgers 5K:



As I sat in my half empty office in the winter/early Spring of 2007 at the VA, preparing to take a leap of faith and walk away from my career to heal my life, somewhere, somehow I knew deep inside of me that I had a date with destiny.

To life!

I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


50% of book proceeds from all of my books, available on Amazon are donated to the Arredondo Family Foundation whose mission is to provide a helping hand to those experiencing a tragedy and to provide education on matters relating to military, veterans, military families, and the issue of suicide.


No comments:

Post a Comment