Monday, January 22, 2018

Bermuda Marathon Weekend: We're Off!



After the Town Crier's proclamation, Team McManus crossed the starting line of their 13.1 adventure through Bermuda.

We were not going to make the same mistake as last year of going out too fast. We ran by the Blue Waters Anglers Club and stopped at Mile 1 for our water stop. We went up that first big hill and settled into the Team McManus rhythm that we'd experienced on our training runs. We'd received so many well wishes from Facebook in the days leading up to the race. I felt everyone's energy and the energy from the Divine whisking us along.

We heard the crow of the roosters and loved experiencing the course with Ruth Anne. Unlike last year, we did not freak out as cars passed by. We went single file and felt that we owned the road even though we were at the very very back of the pack. I knew that every step took me closer to the finish line while savoring the sensational scenery along the way. Tom made sure he was out in front so that I didn't accelerate my pace. He could feel my nervous energy wanting him to go faster but he held the pace and I am so happy he did. I still had those whispers of thoughts and feelings from when I was in a full leg brace trying to keep up with my friends after contracting paralytic polio. Rather than give in to those feelings I observed them and held myself with tenderness and compassion.

I loved Ruth Anne's reaction when we turned the corner to see John Smith's Bay Beach:


"Oh my God," she gasped ... and stopped along the route to take photos:


We came to the 2nd water stop and the volunteer and I both gasped. We had met at the Front Street Mile last year and remembered each other. We hugged and chatted. Her foot is still bothering her but she has an indomitable spirit. She embraced me as though we were dear old friends. She hugged Tom and Ruth Anne. I told her that we were having a very different race experience this year taking time to enjoy every moment and make sure we paid attention to pace, hydration and fueling. She offered us water, gatorade, candy....oh take out those orange slices for them. She handed us a big bottle of water to take with us.

Back out on the course we were moving and grooving!



We passed the halfway point and what a surprise to see Jamie-Lee Wright, my earth angel from mile 12 last year on her bike. She asked if we needed water. She was making sure that everyone was hydrated and had enough water. She took both of my hands and told me how wonderful I looked. She is recovering from an injury and didn't run this year but true to who Jamie-Lee is she had to be of service to the runners.



What a boost it gave me to see Jamie-Lee and then once again to see the locals lining the streets along the course.

We heard clapping and cheers from a house on a hill. We stopped to talk for a few minutes. We hadn't seen any portapotties along the route and Ruth Anne and I needed one. Ruth Anne was moved to ask if we could use their bathroom.

"Of course you can. Come on in."

Well coming on in was a little bit more of a challenge since they lived on this hill but Ruth Anne supported me as we made it to the top. We chatted for a few minutes with the mother and daughter while Tom stayed outside. He got to see the first two marathon lead runners pass by and chatted with the head of the household. He had visited Boston the day after we were hit with a major snowstorm. There are special bonds between Boston and Bermuda.

Feeling relieved and refreshed we journeyed on...

To be continued....

To going the distance with strength and courage!
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):







"









No comments:

Post a Comment