Thursday, January 25, 2018

Bermuda Marathon Weekend: Welcome Home and a Time to Recover



We woke up to a Bermudaful sunny morning on Tuesday and headed down for an early breakfast to catch the final warm rays before heading back to winter in Boston. Keavin cooked with tlc preparing our last breakfast of our magical time on the Island. When he came out to give us a hug goodbye I noticed he was limping. He is going to have a partial hip replacement. We talked about healing and unbeknownst to me, he had already heard about my journey as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma.

There's a band that plays at the Fairmont and Keavin is working on becoming their manager. As we walked through the lobby, Tom noticed them. I was off doing something else and Tom and Ruth Anne got inspired to tell them about my journey. He asked them if they could dedicate a song to me during their set on Friday evening. I didn't know why Tom kept asking me to not get into my comfy sweats and to go down to the Lobby. I was so exhausted from our full day on Thursday that I told him I needed to rest. Keavin totally understood my need for rest and said that they'll get me next time. Just another example of the magic that happens in Bermuda. We hugged and Keavin suggested that Tom and Ruth Anne go back home (oh how I wish you could hear that being said in a Bermudian accent) and I could stay on the Island.

We got all of our luggage together when we returned to the room and headed to the pool. I was working very hard to relax and not stress about the small window of time we had to get to the airport as scheduled by the hotel shuttle. I turned it all over to the Universe. As we waited for others to arrive to get the shuttle, the shuttle driver suggested we relax and get a little more time in the sun which is what we did. I tried to not look at the clock on the dashboard as we wound through the beautiful Bermuda countryside.

Our flight was leaving early but I stayed calm, cool and collected as we breezed through Customs and security. I'm used to having a lot of time to relax at the airport but I was happy to have that extra sunshine time before we left. We had just enough time to have a quick bite of lunch and.... to see Erik at the airport!

He was wearing his bling and took a photo of us wearing ours:


"And what team is this?" the flight attendant asked as we sat in our seats 13 D, E, F on the return flight to Boston.

We said in unison, "Team McManus!"

"What sport is this?" he asked.

"We ran the Bermuda Half Marathon," we replied.

"That's very impressive," he commented.

As the second flight attendant prepared the cabin for take off she looked at our medals. "I don't know what you won but congratulations!"

As they were bringing beverage service through the cabin, we were offered complimentary beer and wine. We told them we didn't drink so they gave us extra snacks and a full can of our non alcoholic beverage of choice.

When we got settled in at home, I posted this photo on Facebook #homesweethome #weranbermuda #teammcnanus #missionaccomplished:


Welcome home and congratulations poured in!

On Wednesday I saw my chiropractor. We shared in the joy of my accomplishment and brought relief to my body that was tired, sore and very tight. At the end of the session she said, "That should bring you some relief!" She suggested that I take it easy and only do a gentle walk until my body recovers from the rigors of training and running a 3rd half marathon in as many years. I will spare you the details of what we discovered was happening in my body and am only focusing on the healing and recovery.

I took Thursday and Friday as rest days.

Tom and Ruth Anne began their training on Saturday for RunTheBluegrass happening on 3/31. While they ran around Jamaica Pond, I did a slow walking meditation. The fresh cold air with the backdrop of the beauty of Jamaica Pond in winter was the perfect setting for me to reflect on where I'd been in my journey and what's next. It was a glorious time for me to connect to the Divine doing a walking meditation. Despite the headwind and cold air, I felt a deep connection to the Divine. I have often felt angry and frustrated that I can't just go out on a run but today I felt such peace and love for my body and my life while walking as my future self....feeling how it will feel to run a 12 minute mile knowing I already can and so grateful that tears streamed down my face. I knew that my muscle strain and everything that got thrown out of alignment during training and running the half marathon is healed. I felt with every step I took there was more and more distance between me now in the present moment and the me that had embodied having once been paralyzed and brutalized by family members. It was truly Divine! My back that had been going into spasms completely relaxed and I felt such joy and happiness.

Even though I am not training for another event right now, we are still Team McManus and took this selfie:


I am doing 5 days of training with core work, strength training, cardio and cross training with a gentle walk as Tom and Ruth Anne do their training runs until my hip/back/groin issue resolve. I feel better and better with each passing day. I have my heart and mind set on attaining my goal of a 12 minute mile for a 5K and am figuring out what else I want to do with my health and fitness regimen. I know the Universe will help me figure that out.

Tom and Ruth Anne are following Kara Goucher's 10 week training plan to get ready for their Half Marathon.

This morning while I did a cardio workout for 6 miles on the bike, they did fartleks on the treadmill and around the track at our gym.

It was a beautiful way to begin the day.


Having completed my 3rd Bermuda Half marathon is as many years was a miracle and having Team McManus reunited with Ruth Anne was another miracle.

Every finish line is a starting line. We are now at the starting line of a new race. I'm so excited to experience this next leg on our journey.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment