Monday, January 29, 2018

In The Swim of Things and the Miracle of Healing



The other day I reflected on remembering when... in my healing journey and a subtle yet miraculous transformation that happened when I was able to organize myself neurologically to get off the toilet seat even though the door was ajar and Tom was in my line of vision. It's so important to appreciate every gain big and small in this wondrous miraculous journey of health, wellness and well being after my body was ravaged by paralytic polio and enduring years of violence at the hands of family members.

I'm still celebrating my 3rd Bermuda Half Marathon in as many years and now it's time for me to get into a rhythm of workouts without having an endurance goal on the horizon. I can feel how there is a part of me that would love to join Tom and Ruth Anne on the road to RunTheBluegrass but I know that I need to give myself time to continue to regenerate neuromuscular connections, build strength and allow everything to heal from the training for 3 endurance events in as many years.

My life has been so blessed by Dr. Bernie Siegel or bernie or CD for Chosen Dad as he likes to be called. I learned about his work while I was in the hospital with a serious bone infection in my right shoulder in the early 1980's. I had an earth angel of a nurse, Beth Jordan, who realized that I needed to heal my life. She brought in his cassette tapes and I bought his book, "Love, Medicine and Miracles." His wisdom continues to be a part of my life every day. We just purchased his meditation CD's again after I found an autographed CD case in a drawer that I usually don't open unless I am looking for documents. I couldn't find the CD's anywhere in the house so we took it as a sign that we needed to buy them again and incorporate them into our healing meditations. Fortunately, Wisdom of the Ages had them for sale.

Bernie taught me about the power of the mind/body connection and the power of self-love for healing.

I am immersing myself in healing allowing my body to continue to transform and transcend the past.

Tom and I did a pool workout together yesterday. It was his time for cross training during half marathon training while Ruth Anne did rowing, stretching and an upper body workout. I know that next week I'll be incorporating weights into my pool workout again and I look forward to when I can get back to two days of outdoor running. I'm so blessed and grateful for a gym with great cardio equipment and awesome classes for when I'm ready to branch out into working my body in new and different ways. I also have working with a personal trainer on my 2018 health and wellness plan.

I have decided to put any endurance running on the back burner for now while I find new and exciting ways to both challenge my body while I stimulate healing.

For the first time after pushing myself to the edge of my physical capabilities, I am not injured! I do have a right hip/groin/back that needs time and tlc to heal from the rigors of training but overall I am doing so well! I'm allowing the miracle of healing to continue to unfold in my life while providing the best environment I can for health and wellness with good nutrition mind, body and soul, exercise, meditation, rest and a good night's sleep. For the first time in these past 11 years after the diagnosis, I feel the joy in the journey; the joy to create something new and to be connected to Source to guide my way.

It's time to be in the flow and in the swim of things and experience where this beautiful current of life leads me.

To your health and well being
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment