Monday, May 14, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Momentum



Shortly after crossing the finish line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon, I coined the phrase "Just for the health of it." I focused on cross training on the bike building up speed and endurance and went for a leisurely 5K outdoors when the weather was good enough to get outdoors.

As the weather improved, I couldn't spend another day in the gym on the bike and Tom and I did twice a week 5K's. We returned to the joy of getting up early on a Monday morning, doing core work and heading out the door to experience the glorious return of Spring to New England.

On Saturday the forecast called for rain. We were going to postpone our run until Sunday and run Sunday and Tuesday but running in the rain is so good for the mind, body and soul. We packed our ponchos in our runner backpack and went around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir incorporating a couple of hills along the way. The run began and end with rain showers.


Wee did what runners do, we don't wait for the weather to be perfect before going out on a run.



I've been receiving a lot of emails and Facebook invitations for upcoming races. My body is itching to get out there to be a part of the racing scene again but I know that I need more recovery time to prevent a full blown injury and allow the irritation and inflammation that happened during my Bermuda training to heal.

This morning I felt a shift from "just for the health of it" to I need to have a chat with my body about healing and getting 5K race ready again. This is the first time in 3 years that I am not training for a Half Marathon and I am thrilled to be on this endurance hiatus. During these past 11 years as I healed the effects from childhood paralytic polio and trauma that came in the guise of the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease, I have harnessed the power of the mind/body connection to gain momentum on my healing odyssey.

During this morning's run around the Route 9 Reservoir, I felt a fire light up again within me as I thought about all the upcoming races that are happening this Spring and Summer. I will be a spectator for now as I ride that edge of listening to my body yet also working with my body to once again achieve my personal best. It's always a delicate balance! Being able to unplug and go out on a run with Tom is a gift and a miracle that I always deeply appreciate for I know how close I came to losing the gift of mobility 11 years ago.

The apple blossoms, purple wildflowers and baby geese against the backdrop of newly bloomed green leaves on the trees were a feast to delight the senses and tickle the soul.

I was running from the inside out being aware of just how far to push myself. It was the first time I'd hit a sub 18 minute/mile pace since last December. I was overdressed - a common occurrence at this time of year and was grateful to have gotten on a really good sweat! I reminded myself (as I have been reminding myself during my 3 times daily meditations) that I am worthy of healing, that my body recovers with ease from any challenge I present and I run swift, at ease and unencumbered.



I feel a turning point again in my running adventures as I celebrate 10 years of running. I'm getting the itch to get back into racing form and feel momentum as I begin the next decade of my running adventures.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):










No comments:

Post a Comment