Thursday, May 3, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Patience and Endurance



As I am writing "The Adventures of Runnergirl1953" I am reflecting on my running adventures and the adventure of overcoming the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma.

The turtle totem resurfaced on another run around the Reservoir. I had two turtles as pets when I was growing up. I was fascinated by the rhythm of their movements and found peace and solace in their companionship. There was no internet to google their meaning in my life then but as I discovered when writing, "Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Turtles and the View from the Back of the Pack,", turtles are:
Symbol of the world, of the Earth
Ability to stay grounded, even in moments of disturbances and chaos
Slowing down, pacing yourself
Determination, persistence
Emotional strength and understanding
Ancient wisdom


Amidst the chaos of my childhood and adolescence, I pulled into my shell to survive and with determination and persistence became the valedictorian for my high school graduation class.

Throughout my life, and especially during these past 11 years, I have been the turtle exhibiting patience and endurance with every challenge I faced.

What a thrill to cross the finish line of so many races running slow (by comparison) and steady.

I struggled with my pace while training for the Bermuda Half Marathon in 2016 but my running and life partner Tom reminded me "For somebody who is supposed to be in wheelchair, you run pretty fast."

I have learned how to feel comfortable in my own shell running my race at my pace with patience and endurance. I embrace my awesomeness in not taking the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome sitting down. Step by step I moved and continue to move forward in my healing journey leaving the past behind, celebrating ten years of running and excited for what the next decade will bring!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment