Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: I Exceed All Expectations



In February of 2007, I sat in a leg brace and used a cane for mobility. At times, I used a wheelchair and was told by the Team at the Spaulding Rehab International Rehab Center for Polio and Post-Polio to be prepared to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and expect a rapid deterioration in neuromuscular functioning. When I got still and asked for Divine Guidance, the answer came in the form of a poem, "Running the Race" and then many many more poems in which I imagined myself healthy, whole, healed, strong, running my life and running on the roads free and unencumbered.

The last stanza of that first poem reads:
I'm now off the sidelines, no need to sit and whine
so much gratitude fills my heart and love and beauty shine.
After all these years I can join the loving human race
I exceed all expectations and now I set the pace.


I have exceeded all expectations that were set forth by the Post Polio Team. I have exceeded expectations of what a polio survivor should be capable of doing as one ages.

I am so grateful that I came across this article by the physiatrist who treated me in New York:
Caution and Hope On Polio 'Signs'
Published: March 3, 1985
I read with interest the article entitled ''A Group for Polio Survivors Who Have New Symptoms'' (Feb. 10).
Having supervised the rehabilitation of poliomyelitis patients at Grasslands Hospital during the epidemics of the 50's and 60's, probably including the ''then'' infants mentioned in the article, I would like to add a word of caution and even hope as an afterthought.
Firstly, there is no reason to suspect deterioration in the nerve cells in the spinal cord. After 30 years, one must accept some loss of endurance, increased fatigue and even some discomfort induced by other unrelated medical problems. This is true in the athlete with repeated injuries, in the obese person with back problems and even in the jogger with foot ailments.

Any individual with paralytic disability in an extremity will experience the normal process of ''wear and tear'' except that it may be more difficult to adjust to it. Just as one learned to compensate for the initial impairment so must one adjust to the later, more subtle changes rather than develop an emotional hangup of being a ''polio victim.'' ~EUGENE MOSKOWITZ, M.D. Mount Vernon


The Post-Polio community was not pleased with what he wrote:
The Westchester Post-Polio Group is grateful to Dr. Eugene Moskowitz (Letters to the Editor, March 3) for providing the public with a concrete demonstration of the negative and patronizing attitude many of us have encountered from physicians. If Dr. Moskowitz finds ''no reason to suspect deterioration in the nerve cells in the spinal cords,'' we suggest that he read ''Proceedings From the First Annual Symposium on the Late Effects of Poliomyelitis,'' in which highly respected members of his own profession advance excellent medical arguments and research reports in support of exactly that theory.


In December of 2014, I was told that I needed to stop running or cap my distance at a 5K or 5 miles AT MOST! I exceeded expectations and went on to run 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years. My knee never bothered me after the initial recovery from the knee injury. My right hip, back and groin did experience pain and spasms. I continue to make an excellent recovery.

As Walt Disney said:


Sunday is my race-i-versary - the 10 year anniversary of the first road race I ever ran - The Corrib Pub 5K Classic. Even though I could easily run the race at my pace, I'm going to be mindful of my continued recovery from Bermuda and instead enjoy the joy of being part of the running community cheering on Tom. I'll know when the time is right to register for another race.

When I do go out and run as I had this past Saturday and Monday, I feel the absolute unbridled joy of having exceeded all expectations and feeling free and unencumbered in my body. I leave Post-Polio Syndrome and childhood trauma in the rear view mirror deeply grateful that I can celebrate ten years of running.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment