Sunday, March 4, 2018

Motivation and Momentum: Setting My Own Goals



I'm in uncharted territory in healing the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. This is the first time in my 11 year healing odyssey that I ran 3 Half Marathons in as many years. After the Boston Marathon in 2009, I crashed and burned. Fortunately my cervical spine doctor was at the ready to help me recover and I had a wonderful physical therapist to help me build core strength and heal cervical spine disease as well as improve overall conditioning. By Summer of 2010 I was back on the roads feeling strong, thoroughly enjoying my participation in my newfound sport of running.

I had a long and winding road of trying out different physical endeavors and different forms of bodywork to encourage my body's healing. I got back on the roads in May of 2013 at the OneRun to help the City of Boston move forward from 4/15/13. I vowed that I would never stop running and always be a part of the running community.

In December of 2014, my left knee blew out and I was blessed to meet Dr. Ryan J. Means, a chiropractor healer who, in addition to inspiring my healing mind, body and soul, introduced me to the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza. Dr. Ryan inspired me to set goals not limits and after running the 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon, the 2016 Hyannis 10K, the Bermuda Half Marathon 2017 along with a few 5K races thrown in and the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon, I know it's time to take a break from pushing my body and allow my body time to heal and recover while enjoying health and fitness workouts for "just the health of it."

Yet I can't be complacent about how I work out.

While still recovering from Bermuda I am experiencing discomfort in my back, right hip and groin area. It is counterintuitive to get moving while feeling discomfort and pain yet I know what happens when I don't work out. The pain gets worse and I feel worse in mind, body and soul.

I'm being mindful and doing hard then easy workouts and taking two full rest days/week. I've decided to go for weekly chiropractic care in addition to my home self care regimen. I've taken to setting aside time for an afternoon meditation to facilitate my body's healing.

Since I am not pushing myself to run distance or speed at the moment, I am using the stationary bike at the gym for my cardio workouts and to allow my inner competitor to "see what this body can do" - a favorite phrase of my personal trainer from the 2009 Boston Marathon. I set goals for myself. I experience a baseline and then see what I can do to move beyond it. My first goal was to do 6 miles in under 40 minutes. I did that for two weeks. Last week I decided to do a 45 minute workout on the bike with a 5 minute cool down. I did 7.70 miles. Today I pushed at the end of my work out to see if I could go farther than 7.70 miles and I did!



Yesterday I did an hour work out in the pool incorporating what I learned from Spaulding Rehab's Aquatics Therapy classes to aid in my recovery. Tomorrow I will have an easy pool workout continuing to do my own pool therapy rehab. I am hoping to get out on Tuesday for a very easy 5K - slow and steady - reminding myself that the body achieves what the mind believes but also being mindful of what I have just accomplished.

While I know that my body recovers with ease and I see myself back out on the racing circuit in no time, I do need to honor where I am right now.

I motivate myself and maintain momentum while setting my own goals to go the distance!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment