Saturday, March 17, 2018

Reflections on Strength



It was a challenge for me to get out of the pool using my arms and hoisting myself up. I would either use the steps on the side of the pool with the handrails or the steps or ramp leading into the pool. Several weeks ago I amazed myself with being able to coordinate and organize neurologically to lift myself out of the pool. It took a lot of effort and it took a lot of effort to organize once out of the pool to get myself to a standing position.

Yesterday all the lanes were filled at the pool. Rather than climbing over or under each of the lane dividers I decided to get out of the pool using my arms. I was amazed at how much ease and grace I experienced in my body. I've been meditating and visualizing ease and grace in my body, especially after meeting Margaret at the pool last week.

As I am writing my next book, 'The Adventures of Runnergirl1953', I am reflecting on my strength. As I recall my early years recovering from paralytic polio, I realized how much I embraced the challenge of overcoming polio. One of the exercises my beloved physiatrist, Dr. Eugene Moskowitz gave me was to pick up marbles with my toes. I remember feeling both the frustration of the challenge, the fire in my soul to be able to accomplish the challenge and then an amazing sense of triumph at being able to succeed.

I could have easily gone under the lane dividers to get to the ramp to get out of the pool yesterday but just as I couldn't leave those marbles on the floor at the age of 8 years old, I had to test my ability at the age of 64 years old.

I felt that same sense of triumph I felt when I was 8 years old with an added boost of exhilaration to experience the manifestation of what I visualize in my meditations.

People often ask me how I have stayed so positive and strong through the years through all of my challenges. Perhaps it was the challenges that helped me get stronger:


By experiencing a vision of a spiritual Being and the touch of grace when I was paralyzed from the neck down shortly after contracting paralytic polio, I had my roots firmly planted in something greater than myself to get me through life's tough times.



Paralytic polio, trauma, family suicides and many many hardships have strengthened me through the years. I continue to challenge myself and push beyond my limits. I am blessed and grateful to have a powerful connection to the Divine within and around me that sustains me and strengthens me as I continue to move forward in my health and wellness journey. It's a joy to go the distance and leave the effects of paralytic polio and trauma in the rear view mirror with strength, courage, grace and ease.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):







No comments:

Post a Comment