Friday, March 9, 2018

On Digging Deep -- Three Feet From Gold



When we can't see what's on the other side of our efforts, it can be easy to quit. Sometimes we don't realize if we dig a little deeper, we are three feet from gold!

In my morning meditation, writing a blog post about digging deep came to me.

I logged onto Facebook and saw this quote from a dear friend of mine, "When I need a little motivation I picture the goals ahead of me, then I dig a little deeper and I work a little harder. Preparation, hard work and determination, every day, is the difference between success and failure. It's true in sports and it's true in life!!"

It's been a lot of digging deep during these past 11 years as I healed the effects of paralytic polio and trauma after being diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards.

It was a profound wake up call that I needed to dig deep and make some serious life style changes in order to heal my life.

I was blessed with earth angels first with a physical therapist at Spaulding, Allison Lamarre-Poole who now has her own physical therapy practice in Maine specializing in women's health at Koru Physical Therapy. And then meeting Janine Hightower a personal trainer who took me from my leg brace, cane and not being able to get up off a couch or low toilet seat without assistance to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon.

I had never run a day in my life when I declared that my next health and fitness goals after working only 6 months with Janine were to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab.

I had to dig so deeply to get to the starting line and once I did, I knew that I would make it through those 26.2 miles.



After a serious knee injury in December of 2014 that I was told would sideline me from running and that I would need a total knee replacement in a few years, I had to dig deep and ask for Divine Guidance to take my healing to the next level. I was blessed to meet a healer chiropractor, Dr. Ryan J. Means and rededicated myself to healing using the work of Dr. Bernie Siegel or Bernie and Dr. Joe Dispenza.

I dug deep to find the courage to once again "go against medical advice" and follow my heart and soul to not only keep on running but going the distance of a half marathon again.



I had to dig deep during Bermuda Half Marathon 2017 after mile 10 when I suffered severe cramping but with the help of my running and life partner Tom and an earth angel at mile 12, I did it!


Training for this year's Bermuda Half Marathon was not easy. I ended up with a muscle strain and was so blessed that my chiropractor (I am so blessed to keep finding these earth angels), Dr. Lizzie Sobel worked hard to partner with me to get me through that race.



I am on a running racing hiatus as I allow everything to heal after running 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons yet I am also digging deep to heal and to continue to build strength in the pool, on the bike and in my home strength training workout.

No one would have blamed me had I stopped digging deep at any juncture of my healing journey

BUT

I would have lost out on the Gold:


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment