Sunday, March 25, 2018

I adopt the pace of nature - Patience



Even though the calendar says March 25th, it does not feel like Spring here in New England. There is still snow on the ground, the air is cold and the trees are barren still worn from the recent spate of storms we've had since January. There is a hint of Spring in the air with more hours of daylight and the birds singing early in the morning. Many are asking when is Spring ever going to get here but when we adopt the pace of nature, we are patient. The warmth of Spring and the burst of colors is that much sweeter when we have gone through the recent rough patch of winter. We can experience the joyous anticipation of Spring in the smallest hints of green shoots poking their head through the ground or feeling the warmth of Springtime sun even though the air is still cold. We know the sweet reward that awaits us when we are patient.

I am on the mailing list for a lot of races and see a lot of my favorite races in my Facebook news feed. Last year I ran The Michael K. Aselton 5K on Cape Cod Memorial Day Weekend for the first time. The Corrib Pub 5K was the first race I ever ran 10 years ago. Finish at the 50 on July 3rd holds many special memories for me.

I must wait to sign up for any races until I completely heal from the issues that plagued me during and after running my 3rd consecutive Bermuda Half Marathon.

I would not trade running in the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon to be able to run races right now. It was a triumphant race for me and demonstrated to me that the body achieves what the mind believes. I dug deep getting myself to the starting line and enjoyed every moment and every mile of the 13.1 course along Bermuda's scenic race course.

Now I need to be patient. I know that every day in every way I heal. I'm swimming, doing the bike and doing strength training. Weather and body permitting I get out and do a very slow and easy 5K. I see my chiropractor weekly and meditate 3 times a day visualizing complete healing. It's a miracle that I am a runner given the diagnosis I received 11 years ago; Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease.

After I ran the Boston Marathon I was a physical wreck but oh so very happy with my accomplishment. I saw my cervical spine doctor for another trigger injection, and he referred me to a wonderful physical therapist. She told me that I had to take time off from running to build strength and allow my body to heal after the rigors of training for a marathon having had a zero base of running. I was patient and adhered to the PT regimen she recommended. By June of 2010 I was back on the roads feeling wonderful.



I look forward to when I'll be crossing another finish line with hands held high as Team McManus with my bestie Tom by my side.

But for now - I adopt the pace of nature. Her secret is patience.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment