Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Countdown to Bermuda: Visualization and Mental Rehearsal

You can see Team McManus coming into the finish chute at 2:43:17 of the 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon:





Facebook told me that 3 years ago today I was at MRI Shields with my husband for a "date night." The purpose of the MRI was to find out what was going on in my left knee after it "blew up". Of course that was after 9 races in 9 months going for PR after PR and no cross training or strength training and no meditation. While my running tribe cheered me on every mile of the way, I was also surrounded by people who were not supportive of my running in the Post-Polio rehab community. The results of the MRI indicated shredded miniscus, a fatty lipoma, bone spurs, degenerative changes from osteoarthritis, an atrophied gastroc muscle and I can't even remember what else. The recommendation was to stop running or if I did run to cap the distance at 5 miles at most and prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years. Has it been a few years?

I was led to a healer chiropractor Ryan J. Means, DC who in addition to helping me get back to the sport I love, reignited my passion to heal my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. He suggested urged me with a sense of urgency to read "You Are the Placebo" by Dr. Joe Dispenza. He even sent me this photo from a page in Dr. Joe's book while I waited for my book to arrive:


He recommended "Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d".

He gave me strength training and cross training exercises to augment my running and used every tool available to support my healing. He used KT tape to stimulate healing of my knee and to grow a new gastroc muscle. And even though he now lives in China, his healing imprint continues on my heart and in my life.

I got back on the roads - first with a 5K and then as synchronicity and serendipity would have it, the Bermuda Half Marathon in 2016. We just had to go back for a 2nd time and I learned a lot of lessons both while training and out on the course to ensure a happy race day experience. I was going to take a break from running another half marathon until we received an invitational entry from the Race Director.

Initially I thought it would just be Tom and me training for the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon but we were so blessed that Ruth Anne could join us for a powerful healing and therapeutic experience on the road to Bermuda.

The day after tomorrow we're leaving on a jet plane. The first time in many years that Ruth Anne and I have been in Bermuda. The last time we were in Bermuda I was in a toe up leg brace and she had to push me around in a wheelchair at the airport. Aside from spending our time packing we are spending a lot of time using visualization and mental rehearsal along with Dr. Joe's meditation, The Blessing of the Energy Centers. As Dr. Joe says rehearse it in your mind until it becomes automatic in your body.

We have the course map marked up with our fueling and hydration plan:


We planned out our activities leading up to race day to ensure adequate rest time. We've exchanged numbers with friends who are going to be a part of International Race Weekend and we'll experience the joy of reunions.

The Bermuda Marathon Race Weekend website tells me it's 2 days and 23 hours until race weekend.

Team McManus is mentally rehearsing and visualizing their success crossing the finish line of Bermuda Half Marathon 2018.

To going the distance with strength and courage!
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):





No comments:

Post a Comment