Sunday, January 7, 2018

Countdown to Bermuda: The Last Workout is Done Before 13.1



Team McManus trained for 5 day training cycles every week from May through December. We trained through heat, humidity, rain, cold, snow, very cold, rainy and cold and perfect weather conditions during our journey on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. We had our last workout at the gym today.

When I looked at my calendar and saw that on Thursday we have DL561 to Bermuda and on Friday dinner at The Pickled Onion, my breath caught.

What a journey it has been to get to the starting line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon.

Ruth Anne has been making her way back from the depths of depression and symptoms of PTSD. Training for Bermuda was a constant as we went through med changes, changes in treatment providers and the natural course of ups and downs that are a regular part of life. Having the goal of running the Bermuda Half Marathon was powerful medicine and healing for Team McManus.

I am continuing to heal from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. It's the first time in my life that I am running three half marathons in as many years. I created a big change in my life last July that was for my health and well being but it was stressful leading up to the change and then dealing with the fallout from the change.

The journey would not have been possible without our dedication, passion and commitment to set and achieve goals and it certainly would not have been possible without the support of our tribe.



We were reflecting on our journey on the road to Bermuda. Unlike our road to the 2009 Boston Marathon, there were no meltdowns, no doubts or fears about why we were doing this during our training runs. We feel stronger as individuals and as a family. We feel accomplished and proud of who we have become during these 8 months of training. We are excited and delighted that the countdown to Bermuda Marathon Weekend is now only 4 days away (geez I remember when it was 100 days away). Our attention is now turned to warmer weather - way warmer weather, sand and turquoise water;


time together with no responsibility other than going out and running 13.1 miles on Sunday is going to be precious indeed. Being with special friends and being open to whatever wonderful surprises the Universe has in store as we continue our countdown to Bermuda.

To going the distance with strength and courage!
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment