Saturday, January 20, 2018

Bermuda Marathon Weekend: On Pre-Race Jitters-Why Am I Going To Miss Out on the Fun!



As we added on miles, my right hip and back caused me a lot of pain. With the support of my chiropractor, meditation, doing the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza and sheer will and determination, I made it through training. But would I make it to the starting line? In my treatment with my chiropractor, the day before we left for Bermuda, she informed me that I had a muscle strain in my right hip. She knew how much the race meant to me and set the intention that I'd be fine doing her adjustments and releasing my body's natural ability to heal through chiropractic care.

At dinner on Friday, I asked Ruth Anne how she was feeling about Sunday's race. "I am totally confident, ma." "That's how I want to be and feel," I declared. I want to experience that in mind, body and soul. In my morning meditation I heard the Divine say to me, "Why are you going to miss out on the fun?"

On the one hand I knew that nobody would have criticized or judged me had I chosen a DNS (did not start). People know my story and my journey; my commitment to the sport and to my Team. This was my 3rd half marathon in as many years. I'd been told I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair 11 years ago after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome and 3 years ago was told I needed a total knee replacement after a very serious knee injury. I was told to stop running. I'd already created many miracles of healing in my life from dissolving a breast tumor to healing a lesion on my nose and to creating a beautiful vibrant life after the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome running the 2009 Boston Marathon, so many races and 2 half marathons in as many years.

On the other hand, I know that I am the creator of my life and that by partnering with the Divine all things are possible. We had gone the distance in our training. I knew that once I overcome myself and my fears running feels wonderful in my body. How could I possibly rob myself and my Teammates Tom and Ruth Anne of running our victory lap? I couldn't allow the fear of having collapsed at age 5 when I contracted paralytic polio to prevail. I'd missed out on so much fun as a child...why was I going to miss out on the fun now?

Yet I was afraid. What if my body seized up as it had in 2017? What if my hip gave out completely or anything else untoward happened in my body and I'd have to be taken off the course via ambulance. During my meditation I kept surrendering to the Divine for guidance and healing. I became aware of the roots of these thoughts and fears and then went on to remember how we created our 13.1 miles in Bermuda during all of our training runs. I asked myself, "Are these thoughts and feelings I want to carry into my future?" "No...I want to walk as my future self." I had to sift and sort through all of the memories, thoughts and feelings and surrender them to the Divine for healing.

We went to the beach for the first half of the day.


I mentally rehearsed the course and we talked about how amazing it was going to feel to cross the finish line.

We took the shuttle back to the hotel to have lunch by the pool. We chatted with other runners who were there for Race Weekend, and enjoyed the spectacular views. One of our friends who we met two years ago in Bermuda came by to see us.



We planned to have an early dinner at the Jasmine Lounge. By the time we showered and got ready for dinner it was later than we had planned. We went to 3 different restaurants and there were no tables to be had.

Ruth Anne suggested room service!

It was perfect. We were able to get into our sweats and get ready for race day:


We watched football, did our meditation and went to bed early.

I woke up as I heard the song, "A Whole New World," which is what I have my alarm set to playing softly in the background.

"It's 5:00am everybody. It's time to get up."

"No it's not - it's only 12:20," Tom and Ruth Anne told me.

I thought it was odd that my alarm was so quiet. Tom said he heard something too.

I was able to release a lot in a meditation and felt incredible relief in my back and fell back to sleep.

Until I woke up at 3:00 am....

To be continued ....

To going the distance with strength and courage!
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment