Monday, September 11, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy!: "Just Do It" - My Monday Morning Workout



There is so much more to training for a Half Marathon than just building miles. I learned the hard way in December of 2014 that just running without cross training and strength training is the fastest track to an injury.

I was so blessed and grateful to have met Ryan J. Means, DC (DC stands for doctor of chiropractic medicine) in February of 2015. After a serious and potentially running career ending knee injury, he helped me return to my path healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, kicking the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine Standards to the curb and prescribed a strength training regimen for me.

Two plus years later and Team McManus integrates this routine in our 5 day training cycle on our road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

While it may be a tongue in cheek kind of quote about exercising first thing in the morning before your brain knows what you're up to, there's a lot of truth and wisdom in that quote. I am usually dragging when the alarm goes off on Monday morning and it's time to get our strength training workout on.


Our regimen consists of:
15 knee to elbow standing
20 crunches
30 runner's bicycle
Runner's airplane core strengthening exercise
12 weighted clams x 2
12 weighted leg raises x 2
30 reps of gastroc strengthening exercises-both legs together and then individual legs
1 minute on the stabilizer with each leg with two reps
Upper body strength training circuit with 5 pound weights x 2

We usually pause and have a piece of toast with OJ before completing the circuit. This morning I proposed to the Team that we "just do it." During my morning meditation, I reminded myself that I am healthy, whole and strong. My body recovers with ease. I am resilient. I threw in a quote from Dr. Emile Coue, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."

Team McManus powered through this morning's Monday morning workout with an easy rhythm as our favorite songs on our playlist accompanied our workout.

We were focused, felt the burn and the trembling and an incredible sense of accomplishment.

During breakfast we talked about how we have a positive momentum going on in our training.



Having that "accidental" almost 9 mile run on Saturday boosted our confidence and our training. We could have stopped at 8.5 miles and slowly walked home. We could have gotten into an argument which we were known to do during our training for the 2009 Boston Marathon. Instead we smiled and went the distance.

In running as in life it's about our attitude and mindset. This morning I told myself to "just do it."



And that's my plan for every day of our 5 day training cycle on the road to Bermuda until we get to the starting line on January 14, 2018!



Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment