Sunday, September 24, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! Almost Double Digits, Pennies from Heaven and T Shirts With a Message

The day began with cloud cover as Team McManus headed out for their 9.5 mile run on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. We started out with hearty laughter as one of our water bottles sprung a leak. I asked Tom how he discovered it and he told me there was water dripping down his leg. We freeze our water bottles (although soon we will need to fill them up with warm water so they don't freeze.) As we ran by the elementary school on our street (where our kids went to school for grades 3-8), Tom decided that he was going to see if he could make a basket in the trash barrel on our way to the Reservoir. Ruth Anne pointed out that he could break a window if he missed. He took aim with a hook shot and was so proud of himself for hitting the rim of the barrel. He sunk the rebound. What a great way to begin a long training run! Our abs got a good workout.

During our first few miles we talked about goal setting. Ruth Anne and Tom want to run the Hartford Marathon in October of 2018. Ruth Anne wants to run the Boston Marathon again and is passionate about running for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention in 2019.

After Bermuda Half Marathon III, my goal is to work with a personal trainer to build strength and speed. I may take a hiatus from endurance running while Tom and Ruth Anne go the distance for full marathons and I work on continuing to improve my health and fitness.

As I had the thought that it takes a lot out of me to train for a half marathon, I saw two different runners wearing these t-shirts:



The sun broke through the clouds and the day began to warm up. I realized these t shirts were a sign for me to remember that my mind creates matter. During these past now almost 11 years of my healing odyssey from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, I have always harnessed the power of my mind to facilitate healing. I've been able to do that which doctors and physical therapists told me I should not/would not and could not do after I was given the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine Standards.

Ruth Anne found two pennies from heaven during today's run which brings her to a total of $.70 since we began training for the Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

As we did our 3 loops around the first Reservoir and then headed to the "small" Reservoir for two loops and finishing up on Eliot Street, we focused on our most immediate goal which is 13.1 miles in a little over 100 days.

I commented how I hadn't planned on doing a Bermuda Half Marathon III but how could I possibly say no to an invitational entry.

As I go through my blog posts from when I was training for the 2009 Boston Marathon, I am struck by a common theme...my faith and my mission - running for and with God is what got me to the finish line of THE Boston Marathon, having never run a day in my life before April of 2008.

Once again God is sending us signs on our road to Bermuda as we build mileage and maintain a 5 day training regimen.

Pennies from heaven that there are angels watching over us and guiding and guarding our footsteps.

Two different t shirts to remind me that as long as I harness the power of my mind and keep my beliefs aligned with my purpose and my passion I will be able to go the distance at least once more!

9.5 miles in the Bank of Bermuda.


Next Saturday it will be double digits for Team McManus!

It's quite thrilling to be on this healing odyssey.

Go the distance with strength and courage,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment