Sunday, September 10, 2017

Going the Distance: The Morning After

We had planned for a second 8.5 miler yesterday but the Divine had other plans!



When I woke up this morning I had this deep sense of accomplishment vibrating throughout my mind, body and soul! 8.95 miles - well let's call it 9 for the sake of argument - 9 miles in the Bank of Bermuda on the road to the Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

This time last year, as Facebook reminded me, we were at 8 miles in our training plan.

This year's training feels completely different for not only do I have the goal of running 13.1 miles on that beautiful Island of Bermuda, but taking myself to a new level of health and fitness.

As I woke up and stretched this morning I took an inventory of my body. Rather than anticipate pain and a problem, I anticipated that my body was able to meet the challenge of an extra half a mile yesterday and that I can and will go the distance in Bermuda in January 2018.



This morning after core work and a healthy breakfast, Team McManus headed to Boston Sports Club. I did a 50 minute work out in the pool while Tom and Ruth Anne did a cardio work out. I did laps and cross training in the pool with a kick board, a noodle, lunges and side steps. I reflected on how last year I would deliberately dial back my workouts but this year I am making sure that I maintain the level of workout despite the fact we are adding on miles.

The morning after our long run followed by a great workout in the pool I checked in again with my body. There is a deep sense of transformation as I leave behind the effects of paralytic polio and trauma that manifested as the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome in December of 2006 (which Western Medicine asserts is a progressive neuromuscular disease).

I am getting used to this new body shedding the memories that left deep imprints. I can catch myself when I feel those old sensations of fear, stiffness and doubts about my strength and focus on my ABILITIES rather than focus on how disabled I once was.

The morning and day after an "accidental" extra half mile on our long run .... I feel strong, sore, very accomplished and more determined than ever to go the distance.

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment