Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! Feeling Accomplished

The Bermuda Marathon Weekend website tells me it's 114 days until Race Weekend. The countdown doesn't really begin until we hit 100 days but I am feeling the excitement of training for Bermuda Half Marathon III.

Having a goal to train for a Half Marathon is what I am using to motivate me to achieve my health and fitness best leaving the effects of paralytic polio and trauma in the rearview mirror of my life. Last year, running my second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon was THE goal for me. This year I am savoring each and every accomplishment along the way.



On Saturday we conquered 9 miles! I reflected on why running a half is a whole big deal for me feeling so grateful for the healing that has happened in my life.

Team McManus did core work early Sunday morning and then we headed to Martha's Vineyard for a wonderful day trip. It's so vital to keep a balance during training. We walked 4.5 miles and enjoyed a change of pace on our cross training day.

Given the uncertain forecast, we decided to get our run on Monday morning. What an awesome way to start the week.

I'd been having this nagging feeling that I wished I could run faster. A year ago I wrote a blog about how harnessing the power of Imagination was a powerful tool in my healing journey. I cast fear aside and decided to run from the inside out seeing just what this body could do. It was a Magical Monday morning run.

Boston Sports Club
offered an all access pass to use at any of their Clubs. I've been wanting to go to the Wellesley Club and check out their facilities. Talk about going outside of my comfort zone! I'm not one to put on Siri and Google Maps and just go but I did. The Club is spacious and had my Cybex Arc Trainer and Bike just waiting for me! Despite having pushed my pace on Monday, I continued to see what my body wanted to do on Tuesday's cross training day. Last week I had done 5.7 miles on the Arc Trainer and Bike during my 50 minute cardio workout. This week -- 6.2 miles! Tom and Ruth Anne had gone out for their early morning tempo run for 5 miles at a 12 minute/mile pace.

This morning we woke up at 6:30am, did our meditation and once again did our circuit of strength training in our home gym.


We encouraged and cheered each other on as we brought the sweat, grit and determination to our workout.

We high fived each other as we completed Day 5/5 on the road to Bermuda.

We celebrated another week of training and how accomplished we feel for the miles, the pace, the strength and endurance we experienced this week.

It's time for two days of rest and recovery for me; Tom and Ruth Anne will do an easy shake out run on Friday.

I'm tired and I'm sore - exactly how I would expect to feel after 5 days of training.

Yet I am also feeling incredibly accomplished celebrating all the milestones and successes achieved this week on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III.

Go the distance with strength and courage,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment