Saturday, December 1, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: The Year In Review

There's only one month left to 2018. It's been ten years since I first laced up a pair of running shoes and discovered the sport that transformed my life.



As we wind down the year, I am gearing up to publish "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" that chronicles my 12 year healing odyssey, healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and celebrating my ten years of running.

The book ends where 2018 began: at the Bermuda Half Marathon. I was almost a DNS (did not start) for the race but with the love and support of my village and my fiery determination, I went the distance for my 3rd Half Marathon in as many years. In December of 2014, after a serious knee injury, I was told I should not run and if I did to cap my distance and to prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years. I double downed on my efforts to heal and found myself crossing the finish line of Bermuda Half Marathon 2018:


I knew I needed to take time off from racing and allow my body to heal and recover from the rigors of 3 half marathons in as many years but I did not let up on my health and fitness regimen of running twice a week, swimming twice a week, and strength training on land once a week.

I incorporated weekly chiropractic treatments into my health and wellness routine.

I increased my meditation time and incorporated a daily 45 minute to an hour afternoon meditation into my day.

My books "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance" and "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life" were featured on Books on the T:



I revamped my website and my branding to ensure that I let my story stand on its own without cross promotion, entangling my story with any one else's promotions.

We did a major decluttering of our home and created beautiful office space where Tom and I can work together when he is not at his office.

We let go of people and things that no longer served us and I was in awe of who and what flowed into my life!

I was so blessed to connect with Dr. David Hamilton through a wonderful series of connections. He put out the call for healing stories using visualization to incorporate in the Tenth Edition of his book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." I was blessed to have my story included in his book:


Through another "coincidence" I was his guest on his October 22 Hay House Radio show; a 6 week series on Hay House UK that complemented his newly released book. It was thrilling to meet on the phone and share my story with his listeners. Through that show we know we touched many lives including one woman in England who is also experiencing the symptoms of Post-Polio Syndrome. She now feels a sense of hope in her healing journey.

There's a time for writing one's story and time to celebrate what has already been written. 2018 was the year for me to celebrate my accomplishments, continue moving forward in my health and wellness journey and to prepare for new goals in 2019.

What will those goals be? I'll be sharing that in my next blog.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment