Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: That Felt SOOO Good!



The rain finally stopped. We knew that no matter what we were going to go outdoors for our early morning run on Monday but were grateful and happy we didn't have to don our ponchos. Despite the darkness followed by grey skies and fog, I was excited about getting out for Monday's run. The temperatures were in the 40's; a much welcome relief from the frigid temps of the past week. After a 20 minute meditation and core work, we headed out the front door.

The cool air was refreshing. There was beauty in the barren trees; a reminder of the importance of letting go and surrendering to nature. We warmed up and by the time we got to the Reservoir, Tom and I were ready to pick up the pace. The water gently lapped against the shore of the Reservoir. Although there was the absence of lush green and ducks and geese, there was a sense of peace and solitude with everything as it was in the moment.



Even though it was cool outside, I worked up a good sweat as a result of negative splits for our 3.11 mile run.

As I peeled off my layers and prepared breakfast, I was moved to say out loud, "That felt soooo good."



I had never run a day in my life before April of 2008. When my personal trainer asked me for my next health and fitness goals in February of 2008 I said, "Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to diversify my workouts. I want to dance. I want to walk outside unencumbered...." As Janine gathered up all of her things I said, "Wait. I have one more goal." She put her things down by the door. "I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding next year. I hear they have a Race for Rehab team." To this day I don't know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as possible but she said non-plussed, "Well okay. You're going to need a pair of running shoes."

I had no idea the world that would open before me through the sport of running. My mettle was tested, friendships forged and I unearthed the treasure of who I am.



Running is the gift that keeps on giving.

Getting up to greet the dawn of a new day, sharing unplugged time with my life and running partner Tom, working up a good sweat and being able to say, "That felt soooo good," before many people were out of bed is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world.

As Bill Rodgers wrote to me when he autographed his book, "Marathon Man," "We're runners. Let's run forever!"

To that I say Amen.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment