Friday, November 16, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Never Tell Me The Odds

My journey of transformation from Christmas 2007 to the 2009 Boston Marathon and the 2016 Bermmuda Half Marathon:




From the soon to be released "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

C-3PO is rattling off the odds while he stands over Han Solo’s shoulder in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. C-3PO has calculated the unlikely and grim odds of Han being able to avoid hitting an asteroid. Han Solo quips back, “Never tell me the odds.”

The odds of becoming high school valedictorian after contracting paralytic polio and fighting for my life every night were quite slim. The odds of being selected for Alpha Sigma Nu, the Jesuit Honor Society at Boston College were quite slim. It took me 4 years to complete my Masters degree in Social Work. I nearly lost the use of my right arm due to a misdiagnosed staph infection and had a 6 week hospitalization.

I was told I shouldn't run again after a serious knee injury in December of 2014. What were the odds I would go on to run 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons? It takes dedication, hard work, perseverance, fierce determination, strength and courage to beat the odds. At times, it was a messy and uncertain journey that required trusting The Force with all of my heart and soul.

The deck was stacked against me. Without warning, on June 3, 1959, I dropped to the ground in Kindergarten class. Thus began the life long challenges I would need to overcome. Three years after contracting paralytic polio, shortly after coming out of my leg brace, my father became alcoholic. Nine years of emotional, physical and sexual assaults followed until he died by suicide when I was 17 years old. In December of 2006 I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

In many ways, my life has been like an adventure movie. I battled evil, and fought for my life. Every time somebody told me I shouldn't or couldn't do something, I turned around and said, "Watch me now."

Never tell me the odds!

“Out of our deepest wounds we find our greatest strength, our most beautiful treasures and the knowledge that love is far greater, and more powerful than any experience we endure.” ~Mary McManus


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.




No comments:

Post a Comment