Monday, November 26, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Zest, Joy and Gratitude



I'm winding down the celebration of 10 years of when I first discovered the sport of running, and we are getting ready to say auld lang syne to 2018.

At the beginning of the year, I chose 3 words for the year: Zest, Joy and Gratitude.

I started a gratitude practice after I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006. I came to the stunning realization that if I had any hope of healing my life from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma that I had to give thanks for my life and all that happened to me finding the treasure, gift and blessing inside of the challenges.

It was an easy habit to continue throughout the year.

It's been a very challenging year as our daughter had 5 hospitalizations for severe PTSD and depression and all that goes with it. As I looked at my runs and paces, it was fascinating to see them wax and wane with the crises that unfortunately accompany someone struggling with their mental health. To be honest, it was hard for me to experience zest and joy much of the time.

On Saturday's run, Tom ran a little bit ahead of me getting ready to take a photo of me. I felt this river of joy bubble up within me. He captured it in this photo:


One of my dear friends, Jennifer, posted on Facebook, "Your zest for life is contagious. Never lose that Mary."

During our daughter's recent lengthy hospitalization Tom and I had time for a time out from the stress of witnessing someone we love decompensate leading up to her making a call to 911 on November 7. We were able to take deep breaths and reclaim our lives. I felt zest and joy return especially on Saturday's run.

Having had a time out from the day to day stress AND making shifts in how we will be once she is discharged are vital to be able to tap into our birthright of joy and allow my zest for life to ALWAYS shine through.

It was a chilly day but we relished running twice around the Reservoir with the sun shining through the now bare trees:


I've learned about surrender and letting go taking my lead from Mother Nature. I am taking the weight of the world off of my shoulders to now focus on celebrating my life and all that I've done during these past twelve years to heal my life.

One month from yesterday I will turn 65 years old.

I'm aware that I have fewer years yet to live than I have already lived and I plan to infuse my days, months and years with zest, joy and gratitude regardless of the circumstances that may be swirling around me.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.



No comments:

Post a Comment