Monday, December 10, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Young at Heart



Two weeks from tomorrow I celebrate my 65th birthday. At dinner last night, Tom asked me how I feel about turning 65. All I could think of was this photo for a reply:


I know that age is just a number and how we think about and act about our age is how our bodies will respond. For more information on this I highly recommend Dr. David Hamilton's book The Tenth Edition of How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body and Dr. Joe Dispenza's book, "You Are The Placebo."

Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I was only 53 at the time but felt very old. Finding my way to the sport of running and declaring that I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon despite never having run a day in my life was like finding my way to the Fountain of Youth.

From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

Young at Heart January 29, 2009

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you
If you're young at heart
For it’s hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind
If you're young at heart ~Rodgers & Hammerstein

“Young at Heart” is the title of Johnny Kelley's autobiography and the song played when they dedicated his statue on Heartbreak Hill in Newton. Ever since meeting his nephew, I researched Johnny, feeling that his presence is blessing our journey. Young at heart had special meaning for me during today’s training run. As Janine ran by my side, she told me about her 70 year old client who celebrated the fact it was easier to get off of the toilet seat and stand. When Janine did my assessment, and I told her what functional areas I struggled with, she said to me that those are struggles for somebody in their 70's, not for someone who is only 53 year old.

The other day I cleaned out my attic. I found the tub chair I used because I did not have the strength or energy to stand in the shower. I scanned the attic to see my black polio shoes, toe up leg brace, wrist brace to ease the painful symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome and what I once considered my swanky blue cane with its ice gripper. I confidently put them out on the sidewalk with a sign “Free”! I am a walking miracle. This is a journey of physical, spiritual and psychological transformation.

Fairy tales can come true and it’s all happening to me. In just a few short weeks, I will be at the starting line of the 113th running of the Boston Marathon. I am clearing out the mental, physical and emotional blocks as they arise to have a wonderful path to the starting line. I am learning to temper fears by allowing the love of God to wash over my soul. I am fearless. I have my eye on the prize. We move toward our fundraising goal of over $9,000, and I am inspiring so many with my story. I imagine how it is going to feel to get my medal and wear my jacket after I cross the finish line. I drink in every experience along this journey finding the lessons and the blessings in the triumphs and tribulations along the way.


By way of the back story to meeting Tom and Dotty Kelley, Johnny's nephew and his wife:

Two weeks before our first run on Heartbreak Hill, we returned from Puerto Rico, after a brief hiatus from the never ending brutal New England cold weather. On the plane ride home, we met Tom Kelley and his wife, Dottie. We shared the story of Team McManus not knowing who the names of the people with whom we were sharing pleasant conversation to pass the time on the flight back to a snowstorm in Boston.

“Hi there…my name is Tom Kelley. My uncle was Johnny Kelley.”

“I’m Dottie.” “It’s so nice to meet you.”

“Johnny Kelley” I thought to myself. “As in the Johnny Kelley. Olympian and Boston Marathon champion through the decades?!”

Dottie shared with me that Tommy lives with Parkinson’s Disease but he keeps on running as best he can. Running is his therapy. She asked for our mailing address. They had something they wanted to send to us. I had goosebumps all over.

As we parted ways heading to baggage claim, Dottie said, ‘Good luck with the rest of your training! Come see us at the Expo at Packet Pick up. Remember, Johnny will be watching over you.”

“Thank you. Get home safely and we’ll definitely come see you at Packet Pick Up. You sure made my day!” I said with a broad smile and a full heart.

A week later a package came in the mail with a note written in Dottie’s perfect cursive handwriting dictated by Tommy:

This is a poster created by Adidas for the 2004 BAA Marathon. I had Johnny sign a few when we roomed together at the Copley Plaza that week, and I know he would have gladly signed one for your family if he were here. Perhaps it will inspire you to run a good race, especially the last 6 miles. Johnny was an inspiration to many of us amateur runners and he lives on in the memories of countless runners. You can get a copy of his book Young at Heart on Amazon I believe. You'll note that his forefathers came over to the USA on the SS Marathon!!! Keep on running as I do. We loved your website and maybe some day we can meet again.


On Saturday I proudly took my place among the youthful runners using the treadmills at Wave Health and Fitness to escape the single digit temperatures with the wind chill. While it would be easy for me to look at them and compare my not so youthful body and pace with their slender physique and tempo runs, in my mind's eye I am as healthy, fit and fast as they are. I perceive myself as youthful, vibrant and fully alive. I am in constant awe of my body's tremendous capacity to heal from any injuries, aches and pains that might come with a 5 day training schedule, and recover from the rigors of a 5 day training schedule as well as having run 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years. My body has experienced and endured paralytic polio, severe childhood trauma and over 25 surgeries. Through meditation, visualization and a regular exercise regimen, I am able to heal the past and experience health and well being.

As stress and challenges present themselves, I am able to combine the wisdom of my years with the resilience and brilliance of feeling young at heart.

I surround myself with like hearted friends who embrace a healthy active lifestyle regardless of the number of candles on their birthday cake.

When anyone asks me how do I feel about turning 65 years old on Christmas Day? My answer will be - I am young at heart and add:


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.


No comments:

Post a Comment