Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: That Was Fun!



I am at a point in my recovery from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma where runs and workouts are fun! It still boggles my mind that I can say fitness is fun for me considering how I struggled for years going through life with a body that had been so battered and bruised. Taking a break from an endurance event after 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons is a God send and a smart move to give me time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Yesterday morning was warm but running early in the day gave Tom and me the chance to beat the heat that was predicted for later in the day. I'm running now for my physical, spiritual and emotional health and wellness but also for FUN!

It was a beautiful morning and other runners and walkers shared the path with us. I did a nice and easy first mile and then opened it up for the 2nd mile. It turned out that I had a negative 50" split between mile 1 and 2. Tom checks in with me to make sure I am being mindful with my pace and I reassured him that I was running from the inside out. We made sure to hydrate and pause between miles 2 and 3 drinking in the morning view of the Reservoir with the skyline of the City of Boston in the background.

We sweat and we felt joy together relishing how, despite what I was told 11 years ago, that I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, that here I was having fun on an early morning run. I always appreciate and am grateful for the miracle of healing in my life.

It was a blessed and glorious way to begin a new day and a new week.


I was working out using the bike and the Arc Trainer as part of my weekly training schedule. It became drudgery especially with the warmer weather returning to New England. I'm doing two pool workouts a week and I am having so much fun in the water while challenging myself during a one hour workout. It is comprised of exercises I learned in Aquatics Therapy at Spaulding Rehab and good old swimming using different strokes and a kick board.

We received an email today from the Race Director of the Bermuda Marathon Weekend in response to an email query I sent him about hotels for the weekend. He sent me a lovely reply (as Bermudians do) and said that he would send a discount code for registration. I told him that I would not be running this year; that I am taking that well earned hiatus from endurance running but said who knows...maybe I'll be back for 2020! It would be epic to celebrate my 65th birthday by running in Bermuda again.

For right now,I want to continue to heal and recover, build strength and feel wonderful in my body. Weekly chiropractic treatments with Dr. Lizzie help me to put everything back where it belongs and release the past. I take healing intervals using daily afternoon meditations for 45 minutes to an hour with Dr. Joe Dispenza or Dr. Bernie Siegel And at the end of a run or a workout I want to be able to say - that was fun!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl1953 ****









No comments:

Post a Comment