Sunday, June 10, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Running with Big Hearts



As Tom and I stood at the starting line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon we couldn't help but notice the two runners standing next to us wearing Team Big Heart shirts.


I knew about the Middlemiss family through Dave McGillivray but it wasn't until we met Linda and Brad Gilbreth in Bermuda that Tom and I became a part of their mission and circle of love and kindness. Tom offered to take their photo at the starting line of the Half Marathon which for them was the culmination of 3 days of running the Bermuda Triangle Half Challenge. Tom also snapped a photo of them with Town Crier, Ed Christopher:


I often say that friendships forged through running are the most precious as we are drawn together by a sport that values kindness, caring for each other and using running to support great causes.

Fast forward to Team Big Heart and the Boston Marathon. Tom and I supported runners with donations and sharing the All You Need Is Love Mission. We were blessed to meet several members of the Team at the Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. at the Expo.

"I was immediately moved by Scott Middlemiss and his Foundation when they had the launch of Dream Big at my restaurant, Tresca," Ray Bourque said during the post-race program.

When Tom and I saw that the inaugural Bourque Family Foundation 7.7K was going to support the Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation, we knew we needed to be a part of the day. Even though I could have walked the 5K, Tom and I decided that it would be best for me to volunteer and he would run the 7.7K. For those of you wondering why 7.7K - it's because 77 was Ray Bourque's number as a Hall of Famer hockey player. I was stationed at Bib Pick Up where I was able to meet and greet runners many of whom were my friends through the decade since I began my career as a runner.

We were blessed to have a Bermudaful reunion with the Gilbreths:


Laurie Miamis and Jennifer Sprague were two of the runners who we met at the Expo:


Jennifer lives with MS yet her Spirit and joy for life are infectious:


While we were waiting for the runners to come into the finish line, Nancy Feehrer stopped by to say hello. She wrote the manuscript for Dream Big

The Middlemiss Foundation has partnered with Dave and Nancy to distribute copies of Dream Big to children. Nancy told me that she is receiving messages from across the country with accolades and purchases of the book. I celebrated in the joy of the success of Dream Big and commented on the recent distribution of 1000 books to children in Massachusetts on Joseph Middlemiss' birthday thanks to the Middlemiss Foundation. I was deeply moved when Nancy told me that she saw a light in me from the moment we met at the book launch and is in awe of my journey. She is reading my book, "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance." We hugged as she went off to graduation parties for her twins.

After the race I let Ray Bourque know that Tom and I returned to Tresca after the Dream Big book launch. We told him what a wonderful dinner we experienced and look forward to going back again. He noticed my Team Big Heart shirt and said, "Be sure to stick around for the presentations. "They are going to be getting something."

Scott, Kate, Grace and Jack waited on the side of the stage. Jack is a reminder to us all that miracles happen and reminds us of the power of Love and Prayer. Fifteen weeks ago he underwent a heart transplant.

After Ray said a few words about the Middlemiss Family, before his presentation, Kate presented him with a certificate for a Buddy Bench or Kindness Library at the school of his choice. Ray was visibly moved by this gesture of kindness and love. I was moved to tears as Ray tenderly held Jack and then spoke about the power of family, love and kindness. He also said that his Foundation is looking for organizations to support that align with the mission of the Bourque Family Foundation.

Ray went on to present to the Middlemiss Family a check for $12,500! (Photos from Jennifer Sprague)

Kate and Jack's presentation to Ray:


Scott says a few words while Ray holds Jack:


Ray and Scott shaking hands:



Presentation of the check with members of the Bourque Family Foundation:


Additional photos from Kate:


The funds will be going toward the mission of the Foundation:

To expand "The Joseph Middlemiss All You Need is Love Mission," fostering the spread and documentation of Random Acts of Kindness on local, national and international fronts.


To educate children on the power of kindness by supporting the efforts of schools (creating and leading motivational assemblies, providing books and related resources, buddy benches and kindness libraries), and empowering students through scholarships for music and martial arts.


To contribute to research for and spread awareness of childhood heart conditions while providing financial, social and emotional assistance to families impacted by these (pizza parties, brunches and patient and parent care bags on the 8th floor at Boston Children's Hospital).


The sport of running has brought me healing from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma, redemption, has helped me transform from seeing myself as physically limited and disabled to a woman of strength and endurance, health, wellness and many many joyful miles on the road. The greatest gift that running has given me is the friendships forged especially with an amazing circle of people who run with big hearts.


From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness!
Mary


Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):











No comments:

Post a Comment