Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: The Blessing of a Morning Run



Had I not contracted paralytic polio at the age of 5 and then received the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome 11 years ago, I doubt I would have as much appreciation for my mobility and the gift of running in my life.

Shortly after I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. Poetry began pouring out off my soul inspiring mind, body and soul to heal. One of the first steps in the process of my healing the effects of paralytic polio and childhood trauma was to bless my experiences and be grateful for what happened to me finding the gift wrapped inside of the challenges.

One of the first poems I wrote declared my gratitude for the gift of polio in my life:

The Gift of Polio
Thank you God for the gift of polio that brought me so close to you
while paralyzed I saw your face no matter what I’d do
Many wonderful healers you sent them to me at age 5
perseverance and triumph life’s lessons learned
but my Spirit could not yet thrive.

At age 53 the gift was sent to me a second time
having time to sit and feel to heal I started to rhyme.
The second time felt worse than the first
yet your love and wisdom I found
out of pain and weakness and fatigue a remarkable spirit rebound.

Reliving all the trauma of special shoes and such
I discovered remarkable healers who brought a loving touch.
I had no clue I had such strength and the ability to grow
no matter what the outcome deep gratitude I show.

This gift so precious I live a new life gratitude flows from me
my heart and soul are filled with grace each day’s a gift from thee.

from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life" available on Amazon

Monday morning was one of those perfect 10 weather running kind of mornings. I was still feeling the after glow off Saturday's Bourque Family Foundation's 7.7K Race. Tom and I donned our Team Big Heart shirts, did our core work, had a banana and water and went out the front door for a 5K.

We weren't sure if we wanted to go once around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir or twice around the small Reservoir on Route 9. We decided that once around the big Reservoir would mix things up a little bit since we'd been running a lot around the small Reservoir.

My heart was open and overflowing with gratitude. I was grateful for every step I could take that was unencumbered and free. I was grateful to be able to take deep breaths and to take in the breathtaking view of the Reservoir in the morning. We said good morning to all the parents and children on their way to school and wished them a good day.

We had to stop and take a photo of the geese family appreciating God's presence in all Beings:


We kept a steady pace and we were both amazed at how quickly our run came to an end. Our time together out in nature, unplugged is precious time for us. It's the perfect way to begin a new day and a new week. I get chills and goosebumps when I think back to where I was 11 years ago facing a grim and uncertain future having been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. Tom anticipated that he would have to be my caregiver; that we'd have to adapt our Cape home or move into a ranch and that I would experience an accelerated decline in functioning.

Instead, we are running together side by side and stride by stride in the roads and in our lives experiencing the blessing of a morning run.



From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment