Friday, August 4, 2017

Going the Distance: Reclaiming My Retirement, My Passion, My Purpose and My Life



It was a gradual process of awareness that let me know it was time for me to return to my life as a retired VA social worker doing what I am most passionate about; writing, blogging, sharing my incredibly inspirational journey in healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. May 25 was the 10th anniversary of when I left the VA to heal my life after receiving the life giving diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine Standards. Every finish line is a starting line.



I feel very blessed that my path crossed with Jeffrey Spratt,MT and will always value and cherish the work we did together as part of my journey healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. While there were times when I loved and embraced playing the role of his Executive Assistant and Communications and PR Director, there were times, as is true in helping out with any small business, where there was incredible stress and long hours for which Tom and I received no financial compensation. Of course, one cannot put a price tag on health and wellness and so, for awhile, we were trading our talents and treasures for Jeffrey's talent and treasure as a muscular therapist. Everything my husband and I did for him and for Spratt Muscular Therapies, we did because we believed in him and the work he did to help me in my recovery and healing journey.

Our daughter's recovery from severe depression and PTSD helped me to get clarity on what priorities I needed to set in my own life. She is and has been making a miraculous recovery. I'm sure everyone's prayers have helped plus her own fierce and tenacious, determined Spirit.

Since separating my story and journey from Jeffrey and Spratt Muscular Therapies, the door has opened wide to new connections who are helping me to fulfill my highest purpose and passion. My friends are embracing my blog and my writing and in social media, I have reclaimed my own identity and the work I have done these past ten years. Friends in social media and in real life are sharing in the excitement of Team McManus' journey on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. There have been and are signs and affirmation from the Divine for my decision to move on from Jeffrey and his business.

My longtime friend in social media, Christa Rose, posted this on Facebook today:
“If it doesn’t open, it’s not your door.” ~Anonymous

Robert Spekman, my marketing professor at Darden, used to tell us that the only way you can feel better while beating your head against a wall is to stop. Yes, you should absolutely work hard for what you want but if the joy goes out of what you’re doing, if you feel like it’s the battle of your life instead of the path of your life, then stop. At least for a moment. Sit back, close your eyes, and breathe. Is it worth it to keep going? Are you doing this out of obligation and habit, or passion and purpose? Sometimes the only way to find our door is to walk away from the one in front of us. We only have so much time. Let’s make every day, every action, count.


To reclaiming my life and to making every day and every action count for our time here is indeed limited! To being an author, blogger, poet, motivational speaker and going the distance as an endurance runner on the roads and in my life and to letting my light shine!

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):












No comments:

Post a Comment