Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."



In a few short weeks Team McManus begins their formal training for the Bermuda Half Marathon. I'm going to do something I've never done before - a Threepeat as my Facebook friend Nicole calls my running the Bermuda Half Marathon for the third consecutive year.

I have to admit that I'm a little scared and a whole lot excited.

There are whispers of the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome as I recently marked the 10 year anniversary of when I left my award winning career at the VA to heal my life from the effects of polio and trauma. There are faint echoes of all of the therapists, doctors and even a former massage therapist I worked with for almost a year who say this can't be done and this shouldn't be happening.

Of course I know that:


Can I really trust my body to go the distance training for a third CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon?

Do I have the physical and mental mettle I need to go the distance?

What am I trying to prove anyway?

The words of Helen Keller come to mind:


and this quote that is one of my favs:


So I will be doing the thing I thought I could not do - to trust my body knowing that I can go the distance for a threepeat training for and then running my 3rd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon.

This time I get to go the distance with my bestie AND our daughter Ruth Anne that will make the journey that much sweeter and inspire me in my training. We will inspire each other and those who follow the adventures of Team McManus. While there may be moments of fear and doubt along the journey's way, Team McManus will prevail!

To going the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):








No comments:

Post a Comment