Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Happy Global Running Day!



So often Global Running Day has fallen on a rest day or on a day when I needed to cross train. This year I rearranged my schedule to make sure that Team McManus went on a run to celebrate Global Running Day.

From the Global Running Day website:
Global Running Day is a day for people around the world to celebrate the joys of running. Participation is easy—just pledge to take part in some type of running activity on June 7, 2017. It can be a solo lap around the block, a long run with friends, or even a game of tag with your kids. The key is to share your passion for the sport and inspire others to get moving.

When the alarm went off at 5:45am and it was yet another grey chilly day in New England, unseasonably cool for June, I wanted to hit "snooze" on my iPhone. Instead, Tom and I meditated setting our intentions for the day both for our run and for how we wanted to create our day. We joined our daughter Ruth Anne for core work, a piece of toast, OJ and water and went out the front door to run 3.12 miles.



Running together is a sacred time. We unplug. We talk and problem solve. We live in the moment and drink in the lush green colors of late Spring in Boston. We inspire and support each other and any worries or troubles we may have had at the beginning of the run evaporate and dissipate like the morning mist over the Reservoir.



We talked about training to run the Bermuda Half Marathon in January 2018 and shared stories with Ruth Anne about our recent trips to the Island. For years, Ruth Anne and I experienced Bermuda as our happy place. The last time we traveled to the Island together, I was using a wheelchair for travel and was in a toe up leg brace using a cane. I could barely walk to and from our Hotel to downtown Hamilton - less than a half mile. We are incredibly excited about sharing in the experience of Bermuda Marathon Weekend with her celebrating my remarkable healing journey.

This morning we celebrated Global Running Day and all that Global Running Day is meant to celebrate. I loved seeing all the Facebook posts by my friends, especially my runner angel Jamie-Lee Wright in Bermuda. She reached 1,000 miles for the year to date and posted these wonderful photos:



Team McManus embraced the moments on our run this morning, looked toward the future of going 13.1 miles in January and regaled the vital role that the sport of running plays in our lives.

Happy Global Running Day!

To going the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):






No comments:

Post a Comment