Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Meaning of My New Pair of Kicks!



As a survivor of paralytic polio, I always struggled with finding shoes that fit me never mind being able to wear "stylish shoes." This is a stock photo but easily could have been a photo of me after I contracted polio at the age of 5 years old:


Ten years ago, after being diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, "a progressive neuromuscular disease" by Western Medicine standards, I needed to wear these shoes with a toe up leg brace:


But then, just like Cinderella at the ball, I was transformed through the power of running.

I met my "Prince Charming" of running shoes in March of 2008. Spencer Aston at Brookline Marathon Sports was enthralled with my journey and my desire to go the distance at the 2009 Boston Marathon. I had never run a day in my life!

He spent so much time with me fitting me with my first pair of running shoes - ever!

The discomfort and shame I used to feel around trying to buy shoes was magically whisked away by Spencer's care and attention to detail.

The staff at Brookline Marathon Sports has been helpful throughout these past 10 years as I went through different stages of running shoes. I found my way into minimalist shoes and now I'm wearing Altra Intuition.

Every time they changed the model of the shoe it was a wait with baited breath. Would the new style serve my unusual gait pattern and differences in my feet. I am not alone in this hold your breath when our favorite running shoe is upgraded but it does take on special significance for me.

Marathon Sports is no longer carrying Altra Intuition and my 3.0's that had seen me through two Bermuda marathons were about ready to bite the dust. I scoured the internet for any 3.0's or even a 3.5 without success. I went to Altra's on line store and decided to try the Intuition 4.0.

They arrived yesterday and I LOVE THEM!

I realized that I don't have to be concerned anymore about finding the right shoe. The Universe supports me in every imaginable way with everything I need to go the distance.

A man once said to me that there is nothing sexier than a woman in stilettos. He caught himself after he said it and said, "Well of course I wouldn't expect you to be in stilettos."

I smile in response to that comment now. For what could possibly be sexier than a woman sporting a pair of running shoes, fierce and focused, going the distance and giving it her all; pouring sweat - the essence of perfection and poetry in motion.

I LOVE my new kicks! And I plan to conquer the 13.1 distance in Bermuda in January...and the world!

To going the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):











No comments:

Post a Comment