Sunday, October 30, 2016

Going the Distance: 9.5 Miles in the Bank of Bermuda..I wonder what normal people do on a Saturday morning?

When I woke up yesterday morning, a part of me did not want to begin another 5 day training cycle and go out and run 9.5 miles. As I was looking for something to inspire me, I found this:



What do so called normal people do on a Saturday morning? I went from experiencing chronic illness, pain and fatigue to training for the Boston Marathon in 2009. Ever since then, running and training and working so hard to achieve healing, health and wellness has been a part of my life.

I can't imagine a Saturday without getting out for a run.

Tom and I couldn't quite figure out where we wanted to run yesterday. We went through various routes and locations and finally settled on heading out the door, and doing an out and back route going along the Boston Marathon route. It was the same route we did last year for my first 10 mile run since having run the 2009 Boston Marathon. We thought we might make it to the finish line but our halfway point for 9.5 took us just shy of the finish line. We did get to take that left on Hereford and right on Boylston though.

When I looked at our Nike+ for the run, our elevation ascent was 420 feet!

Our pace was around a 17:30 on the hills! For 9.5 miles! That accounts for these smiles along with knowing that we deposited another 9.5 miles in the Bank of Bermuda. I felt I could have gone the 3.6 miles needed to complete a half marathon yesterday.



I usually take an ice bath as part of my post run recovery but my low back was feeling very sore. I decided a warm Epsom Salts bath was in order. After my hot shower I let ice cold water run on my legs and hips.

I stretched and visualized and repeated my mantra, "My body recovers quickly and with ease from the rigors of training for the Bermuda Half Marathon."

When I woke up this morning my right knee was barking at me. I iced, stretched and after a few moments of panic, I reminded myself that there are going to be all sorts of sensations as I train to go 13.1 miles again. I waited until this afternoon to do my strength training to give my body a little extra time to recover from the run.

I felt surprisingly strong during my strength training work out with a renewed confidence that I am going to run my SECOND CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon in 74 days.

It's the first time on my health and wellness journey that I am able to maintain positive momentum.

It's the first time that I can unequivocally say I am healing the effects of paralytic polio and violence.

What do normal people do on a Saturday morning? I wonder - I only know that you'll find me building miles and counting down to the Bermuda Half Marathon from now until January 13th!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment