Thursday, October 27, 2016

Going the Distance: The last time I was in New York...

was in December of 2009.

A dear friend messaged me on Facebook and said he was coming to the States and would be in New York over Thanksgiving weekend. Without missing a beat I said we could come meet him in New York City.

Tom and I tried to remember the last time we were in New York. It took some time to remember...It was for the End Polio Now concert in December of 2009; a fundraiser by Rotary International where Itzhak Perlman, a polio survivor performed with the NY Philharmonic.



I wrote a blog post, "Shoes," talking about the fact that, despite going to Lincoln Center, I was going to be wearing black tie polio shoes with an AFO, ankle foot arthosis.



Here's an excerpt from that blog:
When I trained for the Boston Marathon and did a lot of strength training, I was able to relinquish the AFO - as if the AFO was something to be relinquished. I realize now that I probably would have been a lot more comfortable running the Marathon in the AFO but old habits die hard. The 'polio' mentality was one of coming out of braces and orthotics as soon as possible and to lose any outward signs of having been affected by the polio virus. As Katherine Ott said in a video about "Polio:Forgotten But Not Gone" it was the AIDS of its day.


I could not shed my identity as a polio survivor and at that early part of my healing journey was not yet aware of how much my history of trauma was affecting my ability to find a steady path of health and wellness.

After 8 plus years of being on a healing quest, I was led to Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor healer who reminded me of the power of the mind to heal using the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza.

I am training for my second consecutive Bermuda Half Marathon.

I work out 5 days a week.

As I continue to imprint the healing work I did with Dr. Ryan and use meditation, the power of intention and effective action through training, the effects of paralytic polio and trauma are transformed.



The last time I was in New York I was constricted, living and embodying the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. We enjoyed the beautiful concert and I enjoyed being back in my hometown, New York City sampling what the City has to offer as best I could.

This year is going to be rather epic! We are planning to sight see on foot and take a horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park on Friday. We are staying in mid town near Times Square and see where our feet take us. We have tickets to see "The Front Page" on Saturday.

I am going to feel like Mary Tyler Moore (even though her show was set in Minneapolis)


Love is all around no need to waste it...you can have the Town why don't you take it...You're gonna make it after all!

Yes I am ...going the distance and 7 years later I am taking NYC by storm!

To your health and wellness!
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment