Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Going the Distance: Running is my Therapy



After a serious knee injury in December 2014, my non-runner friends and many in the Western medicine tradition (and even the massage therapist I was working with at the time) did not understand my passion and single mindedness to return to running no matter what.

I came to the sport of running later in life - at the age of 53 - after years of loathing my body and decades of neglect and dissociation as a result of paralytic polio and trauma.

Once I put the intention out there to bring into manifestation all that I had been yearning for and writing about in my poems, The Universe delivered my beloved friend, healer and chiropractor Dr. Ryan Means who turned me onto the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza and, even though he lives in China, he has left healing memories on mind, body and soul.

I've been able to sustain and build on my 5 day training cycle. I enjoyed my off season of recovery after running the Bermuda Half Marathon and the Hyannis 10K in January and February and am now amping up my training for the Bermuda Half Marathon next January.

We deposited 7.5 sweet miles in the Bank of Bermuda as we like to call it last Saturday and yesterday went out for a 5K tempo run after strength training on Sunday.

There's been a lot of family stress happening with our daughter's journey with mental illness.

We warmed up and then, as John "The Penguin" Bingham said, I let my feet process all of my feelings while talking and running with my life and running partner, Tom.

We did negative splits all the way and poured sweat leaving all of our troubles on the path around the Reservoir leaving everything up to the Divine. We offered up the Serenity Prayer while we ran and by the end of 3.11 miles we were ready to begin our day - refreshed, energized and with hearts filled with gratitude for this gift of running in our lives.



I am so blessed and grateful to have found my way to Dr. Ryan who, from the very beginning of my treatments with him, let me know that I could and would go the distance again, returning to the roads where I get heaping doses of the best medicine in the world!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment