Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Zest, Gratitude and Joy



In Lisa Berman's recent newsletter, she talked about how, 6 months ago, she named the year. I was inspired to join her suggestion at that time and chose 3 words to name my year. When she mentioned the naming of the year in her newsletter and on Facebook, I realized how I'd let my commitment to zest, gratitude and joy get away from me. While I begin and end each day with gratitude, it was a challenge for me to feel zest and joy in my life with the stress of our daughter's mental illness bearing down on me. I decided that while I can't change what is happening around me, I can certainly change what is happening within me. Lisa's post was most timely. Monday was my half birthday. On December 25th I turn 65. There is no time to waste in this life. Every day is a precious gift.

On this morning's run, I rededicated myself to experiencing zest, gratitude and joy on the roads and in my life! As Tom and I did our core work warm up I thanked each and every part of my body for working so well. I felt joy breathing in the sweet summer air that floated into our house on a warm breeze and I savored the banana and water we had before heading out the door on our run. Although it was warm outside, there was a cooling breeze that allowed me to push my pace.

It's been a long and slow road back after completing 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years. But that's okay! I am so proud of having been able to achieve 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in consecutive years given that I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair 11 years ago after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome. And just recently I have been able to feel the fun in my runs again.

Prior to heading out on our run, I "just happened" to see this post from Randy Pierce:

Major Milestone and some sweet celebration! Late yesterday afternoon I sent Tracy the final draft chapter of the book I've been writing passionately for the last six months, intermittently for a couple of years and ultimately all of my life. There is considerably more work ahead for certain as Tracy and I work an edit cycle together before we send it off to Gene for his first pass edit. Many chapters are past his first review already but there's a few chapters in backlog with Tracy and I as some of you may have noted her incredible schedule recently. Still this is a tremendous achievement for me despite knowing how many of my talented writer friends reach this milestone regularly, the impact it has had on my life has been significant. We have a working title we all like and are eager to finish the edit cycle to reach our publishing goals but this morning, I'm sipping a coffee with a feeling of satisfied, proud relief.

I responded with, "I am so so happy you were able to savor the milestone FOR YOU! It is so easy to often minimize our own accomplishments as we look around and see what others may do with ease but it is vital for us to celebrate accomplishments that are milestones for us whereas for someone else it may come easy. There will definitely be more to come on this topic in an upcoming blog. Thank you for inspiring my run this morning, helping me to embrace my accomplishments for me and for being who you are."

In addition to having fun on our run and savoring the sweetness of all that is summer, I was able to consistently run a sub 18:00 minute/mile pace. I remember when Tom and I were training for the 2015 Finish at the 50 race around the very Reservoir we were running around this morning and I was running sub 15 minute miles. I was coming back from a very serious knee injury in December 2014 and was told I shouldn't run anymore. After the Finish at the 50, I set my sights on an endurance goal again. I fired up that muscle memory of when I pushed myself training for that 5K while also making sure we took time to savor the sights, smells and sounds of summer.

These are photos that include a blue heron that Tom spotted yesterday on his morning run and then on his walk home from work. There were gaggles of geese with their babies and ducks leading their little ones through the water. The trees and flowers were in full bloom and even with cloud cover, the Reservoir glistened.



While running a sub 18:00 minute mile and running with negative splits may not seem like a major accomplishment for most runners, for me it was cause for celebration.



After testing my body with training for and running 3 Half Marathons, I am able to continue to push and challenge myself and see the progress in my recovery. This week I also increased the reps in my strength training on land and in the pool. It's great to feel sore and feel the joy of training in the wake of the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. It's an indescribable feeling to throw off the shackles of the past, the admonitions of the medical establishment and the stress of living with someone who is profoundly struggling with their mental health to reclaim the zest and joy in my life with a heart overflowing with gratitude.



From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl1953 ****

No comments:

Post a Comment