Monday, July 2, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Celebrating Summer!



For the past 3 summers I have trained for the Bermuda Half Marathon. While it was a wonderful and rather sensational journey, it did limit my ability to thoroughly enjoy and savor summertime. Before I trained for the Half Marathons, I was still healing the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. I had not yet reached the point in my healing journey where I was able to experience joy and freedom living in my own skin.

Saturday marked the beginning of Tom's training for Bermuda Half Marathon 2019. We will do our 5K's at my pace and then he will slowly build his mileage at his pace.

As we set out to run in South Boston by the beach, I had a sense of exhilaration and joy. I only have to run 5K's this summer. At this very time each year we had kept a base of 5 miles and began building miles.

There was a festive atmosphere along the beaches as the City prepares to usher in summer in style and to prepare for the celebration of July 4th. We passed teams of Beach Soccer players and a group setting up for a wedding in a gazebo along the water.

On our way back we passed several older people walking.

"Hey you should get a speeding ticket," one of the people walking with a cane said to us.

We stopped and turned around and smiled.

"We're from the Top of the Hill gang. You should come walk with us sometime."

"Do I look that old?" I asked Tom.

"No they want to feel youthful by having us join them," he replied.

We finished our 5K and Tom was feeling beat by the heat. He decided to get out early Sunday morning to get in the miles for Bermuda. He has run several races including a 10K during these past few months so we know he will do just fine.



We sat on the beach refueling with fresh summer fruit and going for a dip in the ocean.

I love to run and experience the world while out on a run. The summer of 2018 is going to be a very special one for me as I celebrate ten years of running and celebrate and savor summer in the City.

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 ****


No comments:

Post a Comment