Monday, October 15, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Come Out and Play



Being out in the rain and feeling a sense of unbridled joy is a special feeling for me. I contracted paralytic polio when I was 5 and endured years of severe child abuse at the hands of family members. I never experienced that feeling of running through puddles as a child. I didn't start running until 2008.

When I was still in a leg brace in February of 2007, shortly after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, I had a dream about splashing in the puddles without my leg brace a la Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain. That dream prompted me to write a poem:

Come Out and Play from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":
Arms flung open wide dancing in the rain
pure abiding joy to feel alive again
healing tears fall and blend in God’s puddle
no time to sit in a corner and huddle
all the old rules driven by fears
washed away now by God’s loving tears
the imprint dad left no longer remains
rain washes away all of the stains
baptized with love, Truth lights my way
the sun shines through on this rainy day
splashing and laughing my heart opens wide
embracing and flowing I’m one with the tide
God takes my hand release the old way
bathe in my glory come out and play!


When Tom and I woke up on Saturday morning, it was pouring rain. We debated about whether or not to switch up our swim/run days but when I called our gym, they told us two of the four lanes were being used for Angel Swim lessons. We'd done many many long runs in the rain and Saturday's run was only for a 5K continuing to work on my speed rather than endurance. I had it in my mind that, since it was the first rainy and cold run of the season I wouldn't push my pace but all that changed once we got to the Reservoir.

There was a special kind of beauty at the Reservoir as the transition from summer to Fall continues. There was a gaggle of geese on the water honking back and forth until they took flight in formation. The vibrant colors stood out against the grey sky.



Tom and I experienced a sense of youthful vibrancy as we braved the elements. There were only a handful of runners out in the elements.

I was astounded to see our consistent negative splits once we peeled off our rain soaked ponchos and our layers. Our time was 16 seconds faster than Monday's run and 9 seconds faster from last Saturday's run! More than any time on the clock, however, was the time that Tom and I spent together, unplugged enjoying fresh air and feeling child like delight!



You would never know that we are in our mid to late 60's would you?

A run in the rain, dodging puddles, seeing Mother Nature in all of her glory despite the elements and being able to come out and play gave me the opportunity to experience magical moments from a once lost childhood.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.







No comments:

Post a Comment