Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Why Do We Do This?



"Why do we do this?" Tom asked me Monday evening as we got ready to meditate and go to sleep.

"I mean really stop and think about it. We were nauseous. We were dizzy. We poured sweat. We were exhausted after the run...."

"I know right?" I answered. And went on to say, "But we never got sick and we never passed out. We took ourselves right to the edge! And after the run we felt an openness and appreciation for life we did not have when we started.
"That's exactly why we do it," Tom said.

One of my inspirational runner friends, Charles Ray Bell posted this about his Monday run:
Full sweat accomplished! 💥 5 miles progression run with I think was 5x1:00x1:00 cool down jog. Man, I love that workout. I think that’s my favorite workout. You just skim up against your threshold. You know, that part where you just start to feel it in the stomach and just hold it .. or I love backing it down and practicing holding the fartlek at MG pace. Feels a lot better but if you want your best bang it’s all about bumping up against that threshold and holding it just a few more seconds longer . At least that’s what I think but keep in mind kids I’m no coach just a wantobe runner lol. Hey , I seen the elder track team and jumped right in with them I’m just glad they were running easy pace on this hot muggy morning.

You can read all about Ray's journey by following this link to a Runner's World article about how running got him on the road to health, wellness and transformation. Grab a few tissues and be prepared to experience goosebumps!

Through running I have met the most inspirational people who, like me, discovered how running transforms lives.

When it's hot and humid or freezing cold people will often ask me why do I do this? People asked me why I trained for 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years despite the incredible toll it took on my body.

I've been "doing this" for the past ten years. I was told in December of 2006 that I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. The doctors diagnosed me with Post-Polio Syndrome; a progressive neuromuscular disease by their Western Medicine Standards.

God and I had other plans.

I got still in the dark night of my mind, body and soul and asked for Divine Guidance. Who knew it would come in the form of a poem, through what I call my divining rod for healing and followed by many many more poems in which I visualized myself coming out of my leg brace running unencumbered and free feeling whole and healthy leaving the past behind. That first poem, "Running the Race" foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run!

I don't run fast. I don't run far for now but with every run I experience the redemptive power of running connecting to Source and all that is!

I'm part of a community of like hearted people who run with big hearts for great causes.

I'm part of a community of people who love pushing the edge of the envelope, testing our mettle and forging friendships discovering that life is meant to be lived to the full, sharing in each other's struggles, trials and triumphs! What better way to do that than with the sport of running?! As Bill Rodgers once said to me, "Life is hard! That's why we run! If we can tough it out on the roads, we can tough it out in life."

Why do we do this?

To discover just what we are made of and to experience both our humanity and Divinity in all of our glory.

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment