Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: My Morning Run



Yesterday's run was going to be an easy 5K. Tom and I are running the Joseph Middlemiss Superhero 5K on Saturday. It's a hilly course and my first road race since the Bermuda Half Marathon in January. I've been giving my body time and space to recover from 3 half marathons in as many years being mindful of what a miracle it was to have run 3 half marathons in consecutive years! Polio, trauma, Post-Polio Syndrome and a serious knee injury were not going to stop me!

My first mile was at an easy pace.

I couldn't leave it at easy and I picked up my pace that yielded a negative split of 34 seconds. The third mile was a +14 second split from mile 2 but still a 20 second negative split from mile 1.

It was a warm morning for September 17th here in Boston and quite humid. I loved being able to wear a tank top and shorts and could subtitle our run "Endless summer." I savored everything about our run. As the run went on, I felt my endorphins kick in. Problems became more manageable; stress melted away. I became in tune and in step with the Universe enjoying the sights, sounds and scents of our run. We had a lot of company on our run from Boston College students and staff. The energy is contagious from other like minded people who know the benefits of getting up and out on an early morning run.

By the time we got home dripping with sweat and a little nauseous from the heat and pushing the pace, I felt my heart open overflowing with gratitude for the blessings in our lives. Oh sure we have our challenges - everyone does - but the best way to shrink those challenges to a manageable size is to run. I don't run away from my problems. I run to transform and transcend those problems by shifting the hormones of stress to the hormones of well being and happiness. I smiled as the tea kettle whistled letting me know it was time for oatmeal (and coffee for Tom) and I popped in the quinoa bread toast. The chilled orange juice and banana delighted my taste buds. When endorphins kick in, the brain's sensory circuits get tuned into simple pleasures.

It is a bonus that I am blessed to run with my life partner of 41 years. When we took our vows we used the Bible quote, "A sorrow shared is a sorrow divided. A joy shared is a joy multiplied." We get to experience those vows in action during the gift of a morning run.



From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment