Sunday, September 16, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: I Am in Awe!



As I stood looking out over the ocean and towards U.Mass Boston where we had done an out and back 3.5 mile run, I felt a sense of awe overcome me.


I just ran 3.5 miles! My pace continues to improve with negative splits and an average pace of 17:39. I finished with a 16:02 sprint.

It's a miracle!

Until 2015, I was unable to get steady traction on my healing journey from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon shortly after coming out of a leg brace using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility. I took 10 months off from running and returned with a great comeback feeling healthy and well. In March of 2011 after my nephew died as a result of addiction and depression, I left running for yoga. It was the path I needed to take at the time but after 4/15/13 I knew I needed to pull myself together and get back on my healing path.

Nine races in 9 months with PR after PR but no cross training and the recipe for disaster ended in a serious knee injury. The admonition that if I used it I would lose it (yes you read that right) was once again told to me only this time it took the tone of an "I told you so." The physiatrist from the Post Polio clinic told me that I needed to stop running but since he knew I was not going to stop running, said I needed to cap my distance...and prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years.

I was blessed to find my way to healers and teachers to rekindle the wisdom and healer within once again using visualization, writing poetry and meditation to unleash healing. I instituted a cross training regimen and believed with every fiber of my Being that all was healed. With the power of visualization, Kinesiotaping, chiropractic care, strength training and cross training, I dissolved bone spurs, grew new cartilage and a new gastroc muscle and set goals not limits.

I went on to run the Bermuda Half Marathons in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I wanted to take a break from the half marathon distance after 2017 but how do you possibly refuse an invitational entry from the Bermuda Marathon Weekend Race Director?

I tested my mettle to the max with the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon.

I am in awe I ran 3 half marathons in as many years. After all, 12 years ago I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

It's a miracle!

I pushed my pace and focused on continuing to unleash the runner within me during yesterday's run.

I'm in awe that I continue to run, uninjured, healthy and whole.

I'm in awe of being able to experience the joy of running through South Boston savoring the sights and sounds along the way, remembering a time not too long ago when even walking a few steps took great effort.



As I got changed in the locker room after our swimming workout today I was awe struck with the reality that when I was 5 years old the polio virus invaded my body. It attacked my spinal cord and my central nervous system. I was paralyzed from the neck down. The virus affected my breathing and movement in my extremities. Yet my body was able to recover from the initial polio virus. While I was able to recover and regain mobility, I have experienced lifelong challenges that, 12 years ago manifested in the guise of Post-Polio Syndrome.

YET through harnessing the power of my mind/body connection, writing poetry to ignite the power of my visualization and working hard with sheer grit and determination, I became a runner and gained strength, health, wellness and vitality!

I celebrate 10 years of running.

I AM IN AWE!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment