Monday, January 9, 2017

Going the Distance: Countdown to Bermuda: On Redemption, Forgiveness and Fun



Taper time brings with it a time for reflection and setting goals for race day. For me it is also a time to reflect on goals for our race-cation.

As I was reflecting on what it means for me to run my second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon on Sunday, the word redemption came to mind. Since the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, what everyone said would be a progressive neuromuscular disease and we don't recommend running for polio. I'd always been able to do one epic event but then I'd always crash and burn. That is until I met Dr. Ryan J. Means, a healer chiropractor whose warm incredibly skillful hands and heart that overflows with compassion have saved my life and led me on a path of redemption. While running the 2009 Boston Marathon brought me a feeling of redemption,



I was a one hit wonder.

It was not for lack of trying.

I sought out so many modalities in an effort to heal my life, feverishly writing poetry yearning to bring into manifestation being able to run unencumbered and free; free from the effects of paralytic polio and 9 years of unrelenting violence that left me imprisoned in my very own body asking the question how will I ever reclaim my life?

I could have easily identified with the aggressors as so many often do when they experience violence against themselves but instead I chose a path of compassion and working to heal others through my work as a social worker at the VA until it was time for me to heal my life.

I forgive family members who betrayed and hurt me. I forgive the bodyworkers who often times did more harm than good claiming they were the experts and knew what was best for me often times recapitulating the very relationships I was trying to heal. I forgive the medical team, the physical therapists and the massage therapist I worked with before meeting Dr. Ryan for not seeing beyond appearances to join with me to heal.

With a feeling of redemption being able to have trained for and be poised and ready to run a second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon, feeling peace and forgiveness in my heart, continuing to heal the effects of paralytic polio and violence, I am anticipating having fun during our time in Bermuda. Last year I was very anxious about whether or not I was going to be able to go the distance. The last distance I ran was 26.2 on Boston Marathon Monday in 2009! I ran 13.1 last year, built on a great base, increased my cardio workouts using the bike and Arc Trainer at Wave Health and Fitness and imagine only a successful run on Sunday. I'm very excited about the weather forecast. The cold front is moving away from the East Coast and that means high 60's and low 70's! I'm going to be able to relax and relish time being unplugged and reading:


The after party for Bermuda Marathon Weekend takes place at the Fairmount Southampton Princess Hotel. Last year Tom and I had a quiet dinner in Hamilton. This year we are going to rock the night away celebrating healing and redemption. It's now over 10 years since that diagnosis and two years since the serious knee injury that everyone said would result in the end of my running career.

I forgive you all and overflow with gratitude for all the people who are sending such positive energy to Team McManus as we look forward to experiencing a moment of redemption when once again we cross that finish line of the 2017 Bermuda Half Marathon! (We are at the 2:43:17 mark)


To your health and wellness!
~Mary






No comments:

Post a Comment