Sunday, November 27, 2016

Going the Distance: On Taping, Transcending Limits and a 10.5 Mile Run



We were so blessed to spend two days in New York with Dr. Ryan J. Means, aka Dr. Ryan and his beautiful mom. Dr. Ryan changed my life forever when I met him in February of 2015. He reminded me of my body's tremendous capacity for healing AND if not more importantly, of my being worthy of healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. In early April of last year he asked me the question, "Why Set Limits?" He helped me find the courage to set goals for myself resurrecting the endurance runner within me despite having suffered a serious knee injury in December of 2014. We looked beyond the appearances of a deteriorating knee joint, deterioration as a result of multiple surgeries, osteoarthritis, bone spurs, a fatty lipoma, a torn miniscus that was beyond surgical repair and a medial gastroc muscle atrophied from paralytic polio. Western Medicine, physical therapists, rehab staff at Spaulding's Aquatics Center and even the massage therapist I was working with at the time all told me the time had come to hang up my running shoes and to be looking toward the future of needing a total knee replacement.

Dr. Ryan turned me onto the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza author of 3 books including "You Are the Placebo." When Dr. Ryan moved to China, we stayed in close contact and he cheered me on to the finish line of the 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon. Yes long distance healing works.

When he told me he was coming state side but couldn't make it to Boston it was a wonderful excuse to do a trip to New York. What a treat to get to spend hours with Ryan and his mom. Although I hadn't met Jane in person before it was as though we were old friends.

I had joked with Ryan about putting two tables together at a deli and have him do an adjustment while he was here. He got serious and said he couldn't adjust my lower back without a table but would be happy to do some work with me. I told him no that he was on vacation. He told me that he did bring tape. I messaged him on Facebook yesterday morning and asked him if he was serious about doing a taping for me and he said absolutely! Well rather than putting two tables together at a deli and doing an adjustment, he did tape my knee and gastroc.



It reminded us both of when I first came to his office. I was so tentative about taking those first few steps back on the roads after my knee injury but Ryan gave me such a sense of hope. His passion for the work, his belief in the body's capacity to heal and his roles as a personal trainer and Bootcamp instructor in addition to being a doctor of chiropractic medicine fueled my desire to set goals not limits! How far I have come since those early days and rather than needing the tape in order to run, I enjoyed feeling the healing and the extra support that the tape provided to my left knee and gastroc as my left leg continues to become factory new. My left knee and leg felt comfortable and supported throughout the training run and I felt a major confidence boost during the run through reconnecting with Dr. Ryan feeling his healing touch once more.

Today Team McManus went 10.5 miles in the wind and the chilly air. It was the first time I ran taped since last year and it was Divine Timing giving me just the boost I needed to believe in every fiber of my being that yes indeed I am running my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. It's 46 days until race weekend and 4 more long runs.



I've really not had a full rest day from last week's training cycle. I had an incredible massage therapy session last Wednesday but then on Thursday we volunteered at the Feaster Five Road Race. It was two hours out in the cold but we had a wonderful time being with our running family. We got up at 4 am on Friday to take the train to NYC and according to Tom's Fitbit walked 6 miles in the City. We slept in yesterday and walked 5 miles, took in a Broadway show and didn't get home until 1 am. We slept in and took our time waking up and getting ready for our long run today. I'll ease up this week and not do another run until next Saturday but do two pool workouts and one work out on the Arc Trainer and Bike.

I am so blessed and touched by grace to have Dr. Ryan in my life who partner with me to move forward in health and wellness despite the toll that paralytic polio and violence once took on me mind, body and soul.

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment