Monday, November 21, 2016

Monday Motivation: Momentum and Inspiration



What an amazing journey these past 10 years have been since receiving the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. It was a result of years of dissociation from my body; a habit I developed in order to manage surviving years of unrelenting abuse and exploitation at the hands of family members shortly after contracting paralytic polio.

Talk about a slide into negative momentum! For ten years before I finally hit bottom feeling sick and tired of feeling sick and tired I was slowly descending into the dark night of my mind, body and soul. It took an almost complete shut down of mind, body and soul before I could slowly begin my ascent out of the pain that paralytic polio and violence had caused.

I had to get still and ask for Divine Guidance after being told that I had a progressive neuromuscular disease needing to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

What glorious guidance came to me that began to lift my heart and soul and helped me to make the shift from hopelessness and despair to hope!

I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul and my pen became my divining rod for healing. Why I even visualized Running the Race which was a foreshadowing of my 2009 Boston Marathon run.

It was a series of steps moving forward and then hitting a plateau; a slide into negative momentum and then digging deep to move forward.

There were many times along the way when I could have quit and almost did. My nephew's suicide in March of 2011 took a terrible toll on me and then in December of 2014, I suffered a serious knee injury.

But the Universe was already conspiring to make sure that I would go the distance with all that I set into motion in my poetry:


In January of 2015 I was destined to meet Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor and a healer in every sense of the word. He was everything I wrote about in my poetry reminding me to set goals not limits. His strong hands, his skill, his warm heart and compassion along with his incredible passion for the work lit my fire to dust myself off from the knee injury and begin to gain positive momentum to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. Ryan took his training in chiropractic and, as they say on American Idol, made it is his own to infuse me with a deep desire to be my personal best in strength, flexibility, endurance and fully inhabiting my body as my very own.

I'm counting down the days to doing something I've never done before: run an endurance race in two consecutive years at Bermuda Marathon Weekend. 53 days and counting until I toe the line of the 2017 Bermuda Half Marathon. 5 days of training each week that consists of a long run on Saturday, Strength Training on Sunday, Arc Trainer and Bike for Cross Training on Monday at Wave Health and Fitness. Tuesday a 5K run and Wednesday cross training in the pool followed by two rest days.

Consistency is key!

Maintaining positive momentum is crucial now knowing that I can go the distance on the roads and in my life powering up the passion in my soul and the might in my mind.

To motivation, momentum and inspiration!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment