Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Going the Distance: Running Is My Freedom



I shudder to think of where I would be without running in my life.

When I run, I become One with all that is leaving my past behind. I discover my strength and my abilities, my edge and my limits. It's a time to unplug and experience my sacred body in all its glory.

My pace and my form are uniquely me. I am free to be me and express my beautiful Spirit through my running; a Spirit that could not be trampled by paralytic polio, 9 years of unrelenting violence, suicides, a diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease and 25+ surgeries.

Sometimes it seems so surreal to me that I am 62 1/2 years old writing about my enjoyment of the sport of running. Ten years ago I was told to prepare myself to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. One and a half years ago I was told to stop running and that I would need a total knee replacement and if I did run to cap it at a 5K well okay maybe a 5 miler.

Well the Universe and I had other plans and sure enough Dr. Ryan Means my beloved friend and chiropractor showed up in my life to remind me that I can go the distance in my life and on the roads.

Recently there has been tremendous stress in our lives.

Training again for the Bermuda Half Marathon



and having a training schedule to adhere to and knowing I am going to get out on the roads in practically all sorts of weather brings me a sense of stability, security, joy and challenge and freedom. It is a time carved out to be in nature, to breathe deeply, to savor all the sensations experiencing movement in all sorts of settings-by the ocean, by the reservoir, on the asphalt, on back roads and main streets.

Freedom is a state of mind and body and being...Running gives me all that and so much more!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment