Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Running Is My Freedom



I shudder to think of where I would be without running in my life.

When I run, I become One with all that is leaving my past behind. I discover my strength and my abilities, my edge and my limits. It's a time to unplug and experience my sacred body in all its glory.

My pace and my form are uniquely me. I am free to be me and express my beautiful Spirit through my running; a Spirit that could not be trampled by paralytic polio, 9 years of unrelenting violence, suicides, a diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease and 25+ surgeries.

In April of last year, Jeffrey Spratt,MT said to me after my very first massage therapy session with him, "I want you to run unencumbered."

Through partnering with him and healing the effects of paralytic polio and violence I can run unencumbered and experience the freedom that is an integral part of the sport of running.

Sometimes it seems so surreal to me that I am 62 1/2 years old writing about my enjoyment of the sport of running. Ten years ago I was told to prepare myself to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. One and a half years ago I was told to stop running and that I would need a total knee replacement and if I did run to cap it at a 5K well okay maybe a 5 miler.

Well the Universe and I had other plans and sure enough two amazing healers in Jeffrey and Dr. Ryan Means my beloved friend and chiropractor showed up in my life to remind me that I can go the distance in my life and on the roads.

Recently there has been tremendous stress in our lives.

Training again for the Bermuda Half Marathon



and having a training schedule to adhere to and knowing I am going to get out on the roads in practically all sorts of weather brings me a sense of stability, security, joy and challenge and freedom. It is a time carved out to be in nature, to breathe deeply, to savor all the sensations experiencing movement in all sorts of settings-by the ocean, by the reservoir, on the asphalt, on back roads and main streets.

Freedom is a state of mind and body and being...Running gives me all that and so much more!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment