Thursday, May 14, 2015

Focus On The Healing



Louise Hay who wrote the above affirmation, one of countless affirmations she has written to allow our mind to support the healing of our bodies, came to the conclusion that by holding on to her resentment for her childhood abuse and rape she had contributed to the onset of incurable cervical cancer. She reported how she had refused conventional medical treatment, and began a regime of forgiveness, coupled with therapy, nutrition, reflexology and occasional colonic enemas. She claimed in the interview that she rid herself of the cancer by this method, but, while swearing to its truth, admitted that she has outlived every doctor who could confirm this story. (Source: Wikipedia)

Back in 2012, I wrote this poem that is included in my collection, "Seasons of the Soul."

Focus on the Healing

Focus on the healing not on the wound
at first blush imperceptible changes
like the first peak at the crocus breaking ground
we can only imagine
what flower will emerge after the darkness of winter…

I had a dream last night
terror filled my body in the darkness
my father the intruder
thunder and lightning filled the room
crashing around me

“I never wanted to harm you”

Hyperventilation slows into steady breath
no longer raw and weary from the fight
wounds bound
roots grounded
peace descends
Spirit soars
only the trace of a scar remains
a reminder of the miracle of my life.


As I move forward in my healing journey, feeling strength and wholeness, a sense of well being and train to run the 2016 Newport Marathon, I find it is my imperative to focus on all the healing that has happened and continues to happen in my life.

As different aches and pains arise, as panic attacks happen, as occasional trauma dreams awaken me with my torso pounding in the middle of the night, I realize how far I have come in these past 8 years.

I frame everything that is happening in my body as having the capacity to heal. I feel this celebration in my soul and I smile as I interpret soreness, aches and pains, as wondrous miracles that I am able to now strength train and push myself. If something comes up in my body, I explore what I can do to support the healing as I lead a very active lifestyle now. When once panic and fear used to be the order of the day, I now have so many tools and resources, books to read, places to go, people to be with on line and in person to bring me back to feeling balanced.

As I did my 35 minutes of lap swimming yesterday, I found myself in the zone where I was totally present in the moment; strong, whole, healed knowing that my body knows just what to do to heal in spite of all of the experiences I have had. I partner with my body and override fear with confidence and strength, listening and practicing, being patient and kind, trusting in myself and in God within me that it's all healing. I feel gratitude, excitement, unbridled joy that I have the power to heal. Patience, practice, persistence and pacing promotes the healing and moves me forward in the flow of life.

The Universe is so generous and loving providing me with everything I need to feel peace, comfort, safety, strength and power in my life now.

And all I need to do is to continue to focus on the healing ....

Be blessed! Journey well! To all good things...

My latest book, "Journey Well" is now available on Amazon along with all of my inspirational books. 50% of book proceeds are donated to the Massachusetts Resiliency Center, a safe, welcoming space for survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing to heal and stay in touch with one another; a virtual hub for a widely dispersed community whose lives have been impacted by the tragic events of April 15th and the events that followed.

When terror struck the world's oldest and most beloved marathon on April 15, 2013, it was a defining moment in Mary McManus’ life and the lives of all those in Boston and around the world. It was her wake up call to return to the sport and community that have been medicine and a lifeline for her throughout her marathon of healing the late effects of paralytic polio and experiencing 9 years of domestic violence as a child and adolescent. Mary captures the essence of Boston Strong through her experience of the 2014 Boston Marathon and as she profiles the people who are Boston Stronger. Through her blog posts, poems and journal entries woven together with excerpts from her memoir, “Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility,” you will experience, through one woman’s journey of transformation and healing, that no matter what happens to us, we can all learn to journey well.





No comments:

Post a Comment