Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Take a Chance



This afternoon I'm attending an informational meeting for Spaulding Rehab's Adaptive Sports Alpine Skiing program. Winter was my least favorite season. Until the winter of 2008/2009, I would hunker down, contracted, shivering and depressed waiting for winter to pass. I had difficulty regulating my thermostat as a result of the spinal cord injury from paralytic polio. I was terrified of ice because of the risk of a fall. When you drop to the ground paralyzed at age 5, it's hard to feel confidence, strength, joy and a desire to play outside during the winter months.

Training for the Boston Marathon changed all of that.

Courage January 5, 2009

The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.

A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.

Branches now bejeweled though bare bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.

A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


I don't know if Alpine Skiing will be something for me. I've had a fear of heights but I don't want that to stop me from being able to experience a breathtaking view of nature in winter.

As with everything I've experienced during these past 8 years on this wild and wonderful healing odyssey, I don't know what's possible.

I'll never know -- until I take a chance.





The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



My 2nd book, "Journey Well," is coming soon. 50% of book proceeds will be donated to AccesSportAmerica to help them continue their life changing programs:




No comments:

Post a Comment